New drywall not quite lining up

Old 10-05-12, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New drywall not quite lining up

Hello,

I'm redoing my bathroom and removed some wall tile along with the drywall underneath. I'm putting in the new drywall now. Some areas are flush with the old drywall while others are not. I'd say at it's worst it's about 1/4 of an inch difference. Is that small enough to fix it with mud? If not, what else can I do? Thanks.

Ryan

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-12, 06:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Is this in a wet area? If so, drywall isn't your friend. You will need to install concrete backer underlayment or use the Kerdi system to ensure a solid long lasting substrate for your tile.

Old 10-05-12, 06:52 PM
It's just a half bath so there's just a toilet and sink.

Old 10-05-12, 07:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Gotcha! Are you using the same size sheetrock? It comes in 3/8", 1/2" and 5/8", so your choice would be critical to matching what you already have. If you have it already installed, then once your tile ends, you can caulk the edges or build it up with sheetrock compound, then caulk it. A picture would help us to see what you see.

Old 10-05-12, 07:43 PM
When I measured, it appeared to be 2 sheets of 1/2 inch drywall on top of eachother. The first 2 walls matched up pretty much perfectly with 2 sheets, however the 3rd and 4th did not. So the majority of the drywall is already up. So, ideally if I can fix it with mud that would be the best option. I will try and get a picture up tomorrow, just got to find my camera.

Old 10-08-12, 03:39 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Is the old wall a 1/4" too thick or 1/4" too thin? What will be your final wall finish? tile? paint? wainscotting?

If the old wall is too thick, a possibility is that there is insufficient attachment at the point that is thick. Try driving a few drywall screws into the high points to see if you can pull it in closer to the level you desire. You can push with you hand to see if there is any give in the wall. If the opposite is true (Old wall too thin) you can drive some shims behind the drywall wall to change the distances. You may pop a few nail heads, but they are easy to patch.

Problem with feathering out a 1/4" variation in depth is that you need to be real good at feathering to not have the patch visible after you paint the wall.

Old 10-08-12, 04:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 222 Posts
Sounds to me like you should prefill the 1/4" gap with durabond and a 12" wide knife prior to your first coat of tape. But as czizzi is alluding to, maybe check the wall with a level or straightedge to make sure the wall is going to look straight when ur done and not be humped. You might have a bowed stud in the wall or missed a nail that is sticking out or something.

Old 10-09-12, 03:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
I don't know that a few screws will work that well in drawing it up [if it's loose] but you could use a decent size block of wood to hammer the drywall in and then secure it with screws.... but only if it's loose and not caused by a bowed/warped stud.

Did you stagger your joints with the new drywall?