hanging mirror on sheetrock??

Old 01-26-01, 12:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

i need to hang a mirror that weighs approx. 10-15lbs. in my bathroom, there are no studs where i need to hang it. i have 30lb. wall hangers, but do i have to have a stud for it, or do i need wall anchors for sheetrock? what would be the best way to hang it?

Old 01-26-01, 06:21 PM
Visiting Guest
Their are two methods you could use. By the weight I would think the mirror to be around 36*36. You could put it up with mirror clips that are screwed into plastic wall anchors. A stud is not necessary. 3 at the bottom and two on top would do fine. If you want to have less clips on the mirror then pick up some mirror mastic and follow manufacturers directions. With mastic, you could use two clips at the bottom and none on the top. Mastic works well if the walls are not flat as the use of clips could stress the mirror. Also mastic will be a safety net if the mirror breaks as it will hold the mirror pieces to the wall. The only down side to mastic is it makes removal of the mirror a bit difficult.

Old 01-26-01, 11:34 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So how wide is the mirror? It would have to be less than 14" wide if you can get it between the studs. If it's 36" X 36", (as suggested by Small Job Service), it would have to have at least 2, and possibly 3 studs behind it.

Old 01-27-01, 10:37 AM
Visiting Guest
mirror

no the mirror is not that big, it is about 18" wide and about 30 in. long, im installing 2 of them over a double sink in my bathroom, the studs do not match up with where im placing them, the mirror has 2 " d " rings on the back for hanging purposes. the mirror frame is solid oak with a small decorative wire on top. the hanger i have are the bulldog hanger type but you use a nail to anchor the hanger to the wall. should i anchor the mirror to the wall using a screw and plastic anchors or would the nail on the bulldog hanger work out??

kobyo

Old 01-27-01, 03:03 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What I would use are E-Z anchors -- the type that are an auger you screw into the sheetrock, then put a screw in the middle of the anchor. Hook the d-rings on the screw heads. You'll find them in the nut and bolt section of any hdwr. or big box store.

Old 01-27-01, 05:55 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

thanks lefty, ill give it a try, if it dont work out, at least ive had some experience patching drywall from my other endeavors, good thing im a paramedic and not a carpenter

Old 01-27-01, 07:05 PM
Visiting Guest
EZ anchors are worth their weight in gold for some applications though their is a down side for their use in hanging pictures and mirrors. The D ring will only be secured by the screw head width which means if someone jolts the mirror or raises it by the force of cleaning then it could come off the wall. Their is a German made hanger that goes under the name Floreat that is sold at some Lumber yards and it is sold under another name by HD. I believe the name is OOK Hangers. It is secured to the wall with 3 hardened pins that are about 1/3 the size of conventional picture hanging nails. No studs required... They are rated from 15 to 100 pounds. The pins are so sharp that if you make a mistake and have to adjust the hanger, you will only have pin holes to cover if they are even noticable. The D ring slides over a 1/2 inch hook so the mirror or picture is more secure. Also by tapping the hook in, the picture will sit closer to the wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: