Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

removing a wall

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-27-01, 07:35 PM   #1  
i would like to remove part of a wall between my kitchen and dining room. how can i figure out if this is a support or nonsupporting wall??

Sponsored Links

WA

01-28-01, 11:01 AM   #2  
Which direction do the ceiling joist above this wall run? If the wall is parallel with the joists, it's not bearing. If the wall runs perpendicular to the joists (crosses under two or more joists), treat it as a bearing wall.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-28-01, 11:08 AM   #3  
walls

thanks for the reply, lefty.

i am embarrassed to admit that i have no idea what a joist is. don't worry, i haven't taken a sledgehammer to my wall yet.

this is all greek to me. i have a desire to learn about remodeling, but i'm literally just getting started. i got on this website for the first time last night, at the urging of a friend.

our house is only 5 yrs old and is beginning to fall apart. it's all little nit picky stuff, but stuff we have no clue about...plumbing and sheet rock.

ok, i've given you way more information than you needed. sorry.

again, thanks for the info. i will save your post and when i get thru all my reading, i'll understand, i'm sure.

thanks again.

marybeth

Search this Thread