Drywall ceiling corners

Old 01-30-01, 07:23 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Hi: In an answer to a post in another forum, Jack the Contractor mentioned using ceiling joints instead of just taping where the walls meet the ceiling. I have never come across this before. Is there an alterantive to taping and mudding between the ceiling and the walls? What can happen if I just tape and mud there? I don't want to make a big mistake in finishing my basement.

Thankyou

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-01, 06:37 PM
J974
Visiting Guest
If your looking for a standard corner you must use tape and mud. If you were going to put crown molding up for example, I guess you could cut corners and skip taping the corner. They have a prebent taping corner at Home Depot, this is best for Do It Yourselfers. Its a metal reinforced tape bent at a 90 degree angle if your not experienced with taping corners this product makes it a little easier to do. They come in 8 ft lengths. Look in the taping section by the cornerbeads and stuff.

Old 02-01-01, 10:30 AM
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by J974
If your looking for a standard corner you must use tape and mud. If you were going to put crown molding up for example, I guess you could cut corners and skip taping the corner. They have a prebent taping corner at Home Depot, this is best for Do It Yourselfers. Its a metal reinforced tape bent at a 90 degree angle if your not experienced with taping corners this product makes it a little easier to do. They come in 8 ft lengths. Look in the taping section by the cornerbeads and stuff.
Thanks for your reply "J". I wasn't trying to skip taping and mudding it just sounded like Jack the Contractor was talking about somthing other than taping and mudding as the proper way to do a ceiling joint. If taping and mudding work that's fine with me.

Old 02-08-01, 05:41 PM
Visiting Guest
Slord
There is a product called straight edge, It's a plastic drywall tape, You have to get these at a building supply that handles plaster and drywall products, this tape works very well in areas with large gaps, you will need to put some type of backing, either drywall or mix up some 90 Durabond mix it so it's like ice cream, then fill in the gap between the ceiling and top of wall, make it as smooth as you can, then put down your bed coat then your tape, then just finish off with topping compound, let dry over night and sand out smooth, Good Luck
Frank
Frankawitz Custom Painting &
Plastering Repairs

Old 02-09-01, 06:13 AM
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Frankawitz
Slord
There is a product called straight edge, It's a plastic drywall tape, You have to get these at a building supply that handles plaster and drywall products, this tape works very well in areas with large gaps, you will need to put some type of backing, either drywall or mix up some 90 Durabond mix it so it's like ice cream, then fill in the gap between the ceiling and top of wall, make it as smooth as you can, then put down your bed coat then your tape, then just finish off with topping compound, let dry over night and sand out smooth, Good Luck
Frank
Frankawitz Custom Painting &
Plastering Repairs
Thankyou Frank.

Old 02-15-01, 06:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Product Name is Straight Edge

There is a product called straight edge, it's a drywall tape that is ridged and can be used in areas of corners that have large gaps between ceiling board and wall board,
all you do is put down your bed coat then press the straight edge into the mud with your 6" tape knife, let joint compound set,(I would use self setting joint compound 90, 45,or 20 depending on how good you are with taping,the lower the number the faster the setting time, I would use durabond in the brown bags, the white bags are to soft when dry, you want some hard like plaster, this should stop the problem,
Good luck