Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Fixing drywall after removing wallpaper

Old 12-26-12, 12:49 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi. I've spent long days trying to remove wallpaper in my bathroom. The house was built in the late seventies.
There were two layers and the first was not nearly as difficult as the second layer. The second layer looked to be the original wall paper from when the house was first built and literally looked like regular paper stuck on the wall and was extremely porous. It was a big pain to remove it.
Anyways, while I was removing the second layer of wallpaper... it seemed to be that the "drywall" was just a cardboard layer with joint compound over area with nails. I've uploaded a few photos to better explain the situation.

During the wallpaper removal, a lot of the compound and cardboard wall was damaged. I was going to paint some walls and wallpaper other walls, but I am unsure how to go about this with this type of wall.

Are there any suggestions to fixing the problem and what this wall actually is since it does not look like typical drywall...
Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Attached Images     
Old 12-26-12, 04:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I'd say that you should first apply oil primer to any torn paper or exposed gypsum (brushing only the spots that need it- not rolling the whole wall) followed by a very light sanding to clean the entire wall, removing minor imperfections. Then skim the entire wall with a thin layer of joint compound, and once it's dry, sand it down until it's smooth. Then roll the wall with a mildew resistant stain blocking wall primer. Examine the wall for any imperfections in the finish which need to be skimmed again, and fix those areas. Reprime any repaired areas. Then you'll be ready for paint.

Old 12-27-12, 12:14 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You need to first cut off any loose paper with a utility knife, before priming, etc.

Old 12-29-12, 08:55 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
After you've skimmed and smoothed the walls as X suggested,, paint the areas where you want to apply paper with sanding sealer. The paper will go on easier, stick better, and be easier to remove in the future. Just be careful to avoid getting any of the sealer on the areas to be painted - it will change the appearance of the paint

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: