Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Best option for walls in kitchen, after removing tile? Pics included.

Old 01-02-13, 12:08 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

So my house was built in the 50's the tile comes half way up the wall. I want to tear this down. My only problem is after that then what. The house is all plaster. I know that under this tile is plasterboard. I am not skilled enough to skim it myself and make it look good after I take the tile down. I was thinking about trying to order 1/8" drywall and cover the two walls that this tile is on. I need some help. I am doing this on a very small budget. Any suggestions would be great. Also I work two jobs so I really don't have the time to for a huge project. Something I can do on a weekend so that my kitchen isn't out of commission for a couple weeks. Thanks for you help in advance. Here are some Pics

Attached Images   
Old 01-02-13, 01:13 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,197 Upvotes on 1,152 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'd skim coat - it's not as tough a job as I think you're anticipating.

Old 01-02-13, 04:42 PM
T
Received 41 Upvotes on 34 Posts
Now which is which? Is the house plaster or plasterboard? Is there plasterboard but not plaster behind the tile? Is the tile as old as the house? This might be plastic tile installed with adhesive. That kind of tile usually comes off easily, the adhesive will probably not come off as well as the tile. If you are lucky and the wall is plaster then no matter what kind of tile, ceramic or plastic, the wall will only need skimmed and the kitchen will not be out of commission It might not be fully functional for counter top operations but certainly useable. And skimming is not that hard a skill and not that taxing physically. Now in real life some of the adhesive will likely stay bonded to the wall. A sharp chisel or a sharpened, stiff putty knife will take it off. Try to do this without using chemical solvents if you can.

Tell us more so we can be more specific in our advice, which is worth exactly what you pay for it.

Old 01-03-13, 07:23 AM
A
These are ceramic tile. They are as old as the house. I think. I have the same tiles going down the hall to my basement. Some of them are missing. Looks like they fell off. I have only had this house for a year, so I don't know the whole history. But it looks like there is plasterboard underneath the tile. There looks to be old trowel marks behind the ones that have fallen, along that orange color glue. So I believe it was put on with a tile glue. Like you would do with a floor for industrial tile. The house it self has what I believe is plasterboard with plaster over it. The reason I say that I don't have the skill is, one of my walls had a big mirror on it when I bought the house. I looked like they just painted around it for years! So when I took it down I had to strip the whole wall. After that I had to reapply plaster to the wall and try to smooth it. The wall has noticeable marks. I couldn't get it very smooth. It is a eye sore. So I dread doing the same thing in the kitchen.

Old 01-03-13, 11:19 AM
A
Here are some additional pics to help

Here is what my wall looks like behind the tile. This is my hallway leading to basement. The walls had wall paper on them that peeled right off. Hope this helps.

Attached Images    

Last edited by Anthony Keating; 01-03-13 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 01-03-13, 11:58 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,197 Upvotes on 1,152 Posts
I would seal the exposed gypsum (where the paper came off) with Zinsser Gardz primer, skim coat smooth and then prime and paint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: