Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

What is this and how do I effectively strip it.

What is this and how do I effectively strip it.

Old 01-02-13, 03:10 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What is this and how do I effectively strip it.

My home is from 1920 something and is all masonry and plaster. I am trying to redo a tiny, unused bedroom upstairs. The walls looked like they were crumbling before I dug into them. As I've started tearing into the already peeling parts it looks like there is a top layer of wallpaper, a layer of modern paint below, then some kind of very thin layer of plaster, 1/16 inch or less put over top of what I assume is the original paint on the original plaster. The problem seems to lie in the adhesion on this thin plaster to the orignal paint which is dust in some places but well attached in other places. The original plaster has cracks all over but seems to be structurally good enough. I want to get this all stripped off and then thin coat the plaster and start over. What is the best way to get all these layers off the wall, like I said, it just falls right off in some areas which is nice but it tightly bonded in most of the wall. Thankls
Old 01-02-13, 04:10 PM
czizzi's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6,541
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
On the areas that are flaking, take a stiff putty knife and pop off all the loose material that is in the general area. You can tap on the wall to see if further "hollow" spots are present. Work your way around the room until you are satisfied that all the loose stuff has been removed. Then look again, because I guarantee you that there are more loose areas. When you get to the point of moving on, and if you need assistance, check back and we will do what we can.
Old 01-02-13, 04:33 PM
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: California
Posts: 1,873
Received 41 Upvotes on 34 Posts
I have a couple ideas about what it is and what to do about it. czizzi is right. Get it all off and then do it again. Then check in again. All of the problems of putting new drywall over the existing plaster notwithstanding, this might be a good candidate fur such an undertaking. It might be less work in the long run if you can get 8' sheets into the room.

In the mean time google kalsomine or calsomine or calsamine or kalsamine or other permutations of the homophones.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: