Drilling Tight Space

Old 02-04-13, 09:27 PM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drilling Tight Space

Hey guys,
I have a blind i want to install inside a plaster ceiling pelmet thats around 10cm x 10cm. The problem is its to small for the drill to fit in the pelmet to be drilled on the plaster wall inside.

Got any suggestions on how to drill this very particular tight space?

Name:  IMG_0906.jpg
Views: 3067
Size:  9.9 KB

Attached Images  
Old 02-04-13, 11:39 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

You'l need to use a right-angle drill or a right-angle drill attachment to do that.

Old 02-05-13, 12:23 AM
X
Thanks for the warm welcome!

The price for the right angle drill is a bit expensive for a one time job. Is there any other cheaper way to drill a hole in the wall besides getting a new set of drill that you might know? By the way, is the right - angle drill attachment able to be used on a hammer drill? Because i'll be drilling to a brick wall and not a dry wall.

Old 02-05-13, 04:20 AM
W
Received 36 Votes on 33 Posts
Drill Attachment

By the way, is the right - angle drill attachment able to be used on a hammer drill? Because i'll be drilling to a brick wall and not a dry wall.
The angle attachment will not utilize the hammer feature.

Old 02-05-13, 06:29 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 203 Votes on 181 Posts
Definitely look into a right-angle drill attachment. I got mine for $12, and I see others out there for even cheaper. As always, you get what you pay for, but for the couple holes I needed to drill, it's worked out splendidly!

Old 02-05-13, 07:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,612 Votes on 1,484 Posts
Wow......right angle AND a brick wall. You sure don't make it easy on us

I see you aren't located in the States. We have rental places where you could probably rent a right angle drill. Even that would have a tough time in brick unless you were drilling only in the mortar joint.
Possibly the right angle attachment would work but then you would definitely have to drill in the mortar line.

Old 02-05-13, 10:30 AM
X
Yeah, I'm living in Malaysia. And houses over here are mostly built with clay bricks. So i'll need something with a hammer function to drill a hole.

I've consulted with a local hardware store, and they said i would need to use a customized bracket. I guess this seems to be my only option.

Old 02-05-13, 02:31 PM
C
How about a Hilti gun? Do they make one of those that would fit in that space that a rental place may have?

Old 02-05-13, 02:47 PM
W
Received 36 Votes on 33 Posts
Drilling

Is that a light fixture which you could remove to make room for the drill?

Old 02-05-13, 02:56 PM
X
I'm not sure if we even have power tool rentals over here in Malaysia for small jobs. Usually theres rental for heavy duty tools for big construction jobs. I could probably ask my local hardware store about this.

No, theres no light fixture in the box. Its just an empty L shape box.

Old 02-05-13, 03:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 995 Votes on 906 Posts
Can you drill into the ceiling and mount it up there instead? Aside from that, getting a longer masonry bit and drilling the hole at an angle would be the only idea I'd have.

Are you using toggle anchors inside the hole you drill?

Old 02-05-13, 03:25 PM
X
The blind is a roman blind which has to be installed on the wall. It can't be hanging upwards because the cables will restrict the flow of how it works actually. So since im installing to a brick wall so no toggle anchors.

I actually thought about buying a long drill bit and just drilling it 45 degrees upward, but i wasn't sure if it would hold the blind as i have never done any drilling process like this. Do you think it would be strong enough for long term if i would drill it 45 degrees upward into the wall?

Old 02-05-13, 03:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 995 Votes on 906 Posts
If the bricks are hollow inside, you could use a toggle anchor. but if they are solid, and you are using a plastic anchor, I don't think that having a hole at a 45 angle would work too well.

As another idea, you could make a valence box out of wood for it. Build the box (or L-shape), screw the blind to the wood... then screw the box or L (with the blinds already attached) up to the ceiling.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: