Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Drywalling walls, start at the top or at the bottom?

Old 02-19-13, 06:11 AM
N
Received 20 Upvotes on 18 Posts

I've always been told (and the few jobs I have done), to drywall a wall from the bottom up. That way you can sit your sheets of drywall on the ridge of the one below instead of trying to hold it up in the air.

Now, with our young daughter feeding all the time (about a month old now), I've been watching regular TV (home improvement shows of course), and noticed that every I see someone on these shows doing drywall, they start at the top, and work down.

Is there a correct way to work (top down, or bottom up), or does it all come down to preference?

I could see the argument for top down being a factory edge at the ceiling, but I found that if I butt the my cut edge to the sheet below, I can still run a factory edge along the ceiling (easier to accommodate the cut edge in the middle rather than the bottom or top).

Thoughts?

Old 02-19-13, 06:19 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,198 Upvotes on 1,153 Posts
I start at the bottom. I like the tapered edges to meet in the middle of the wall, whether this means a cut or factory edge at the top or bottom depends on the wall.

Old 02-19-13, 07:04 AM
W
Received 60 Upvotes on 52 Posts
Drywall

Start at the top. Any gap will be at the bottom and will be hidden by baseboard. The two tapered edges which meet in the middle will be easier to mud and tape than if there was one tapered edge and one cut edge. Also, if you have a cut edge at the bottom because the wall is less than 8 ft. high, the baseboard will fit better.

Old 02-19-13, 07:47 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I always start at the top. That puts any cut edge behind the baseboard. I use a handy bar on a block of wood as a foot lever to lift the bottom sheet up to meet the top one.

If you do the bottom sheet first not only will you have a raw edge to tape but any variations in the framing will show up as a gap/interference at the ceiling.

Old 02-19-13, 07:56 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,198 Upvotes on 1,153 Posts
I'm rethinking my process, I like the idea of putting a factory edge at the top, tapered edge joint in the middle and any cut edge then behind the baseboard.

Old 02-19-13, 09:45 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 758 Upvotes on 663 Posts
I've always started at the top and all the pro drywall hangers I've met over the years start at the top also.... both Ken and Wayne state the reasons why

Old 02-19-13, 10:33 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Here is another vote for starting at the top.

Old 02-19-13, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Another vote for top down...though I admit the last time I did any full sheets was helping a friend 2 wives ago.

One additional reason is you can push the sheet tight to the ceiling. If you start at the bottom you have to be very sure of measurements.

Old 02-19-13, 03:08 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 758 Upvotes on 663 Posts
One additional reason is you can push the sheet tight to the ceiling
That's probably the main reason

Old 02-19-13, 03:56 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would start with Top as others mentionned.

Easier to get close to ceiling and is more foregiving on cutting precision. If you miscalculated slightly the height of the bottom sheet it's less of an issue than if you were doing it bottom up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: