Can I use a ROS on my drywall?

Old 02-22-13, 11:08 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can I use a ROS on my drywall?

I am in the middle of my first attempt at drywalling, and it is not going well. Mainly I didn't know what I was doing and the framing is not good. That makes drywalling especially hard.

I have one particularly bad joint, where one side is pitched up at an angle. I wonder if I could take a random orbital sander to that and knock it down even. I can attach a vacuum to the sander, so it should be too awful. I also have a powered dust mask and a pretty decent air filter...
Any compelling reason not to use a ROS.

I know you are supposed to just use sandpaper on a block, but since my ROS has a vacuum attachment, can I use that to sand the mud just in general? I expect the fine dust probably isn't great for the sander, but I have several that getting pretty near retirement age, so if they get ruined it isn't a tragedy.

Thanks.

Old 02-22-13, 11:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'm not sure what you hope to achieve with the sander
Sanding j/c is messy and you can only sand what mud is there. It won't help any if you sand into the paper! Usually it's easier to add more mud to get it all leveled out.

While a sanding sponge works great sanding the edges of a repair. A sanding pole holds the paper flat which is what you want for the majority of the sanding. That way the mud is sanded flat/level and there is no waves in the mud from using a sponge or loose sandpaper.

Would your problem area show up if you posted a pic?

Old 02-22-13, 11:36 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Pictures will help but it sounds to me like you need more mud and then to float it out over a greater area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: