Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Low income rental - What kind of walls between units?

Low income rental - What kind of walls between units?

Old 02-24-13, 02:54 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bahamas
Posts: 3
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Low income rental - What kind of walls between units?


I'm Looking for the most inexpensive & secure way to partition off rental units. The place has already been studded out so cement block is not an option.

Is Durock with taped seams and finished with textured paint an option or do I have to skim 100% of the Durock with something like Durabond?

How about Roofing plywood with taped seams, and finished with textured paint?

If I am going to have to skim 100% of the sheathing, roof ply will be the cheaper of the two, Is this a good option? Is skim coated roof ply a better option than Durock without a skim coat?

There will be no insulation in the walls so I'm thinking the Durock will give me better sound dampening, any thoughts?
Old 02-24-13, 08:43 PM
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: California
Posts: 1,876
Received 41 Upvotes on 34 Posts
It might not be too late to add new studs on one side with the new ones off set from the existing.
If you are concerned about security from one side to the next then steel security mesh AMICO Security Products - Security Mesh and conventional drywall will give you good security between units and a drywall finish that will beat either of the alternatives you suggest.
Old 02-25-13, 04:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 45,238
Received 758 Upvotes on 663 Posts
You should also check with the local permit office. Most jurisdictions require a fire wall between units which is usually 5/8" firerock, some require it to be 2 layers thick.
Old 02-25-13, 05:09 AM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 26,328
Received 1,851 Upvotes on 1,657 Posts
I can say from experience that 1/2" thick sheetrock does not withstand renter's abuse very well. 5/8" may hold up somewhat better. Durarock is an interesting idea though it is heavy and only comes in small sheets so you'd have a lot of seams to treat. In the end I think it would be done in by people attempting to drive nails. In situations where having a fire barrier is not an issue OSB has worked well and if you want something really durable try a premium OSB like Advantech. Just paint over it and the OSB creates it's own texture finish. fists and elbows don't punch through it and it tolerates nail holes well.
Old 02-25-13, 02:06 PM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 36,608
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
One more point, Durock comes in 3' x 5' sheets and will require additional stud work to meet the ends. Double 5/8 sheetrock would be my choice, although the Advantech has its merits.
Old 03-03-13, 11:47 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bahamas
Posts: 3
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I decided to go with Roof Ply except for shower areas. I want to do either a skim coat or roll on compound for texture. I know from experience that Durabond holds up well skimmed on plywood. Will regular compound perform a well? Also, if we added water and rolled on the compound will it work the same?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: