Drywall installation.

Old 02-26-13, 04:11 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Drywall installation.

Any tips or tricks to make locating electrical outlets and recessed lighting holes in the drywall? Maybe lipstick on the box or something?

Old 02-26-13, 04:41 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Line chalk is a old one.Tap good though.

Old 02-26-13, 06:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Yes, use a Rotozip!

1) Measure to the center of each opening and make a mark on the sheetrock. (The side that will be faceing you)
2) Tack the sheet so that it is hanging on the wall. Do not screw too close to the boxes/cans.
3) Using a rotozip (or similar tool) with a drywall bit, start at your center mark and push through that rock. Then, move to the right until you feel the the edge of the box. Jump the bit over to the outside of the box and cut around it. Sometimes it is helpful to cut a small hole in the center of the box and stick your finger in so you have an idea of where the box edge is.

Here is a video: Cutting Drywall with RotoZip - YouTube

It does take a bit of practice, but with a few cuts, you will get better results. Be sure to stuff your wires as far back as you can so you don't skin them. Also make sure your cans have the locking screw tight so they do not move on you.

Old 02-26-13, 06:48 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I have a rotozip yet still prefer to use good old math.

Hang a sheet adjacent and/or above the intended sheet with the cut-outs. Use these and the floor or walls (if ceiling work) to take reference measurements. Transfer these measurements to the drywall. Measure twice (or 3 times) and cut once. I usually cut a little tight to the size initially. Then tack the sheet in place and adjust as needed before nailing it off completely.

Most of my work is remodel, so when I get to plugs and switches, there is already power present and outlets or switches are already in place. Hitting it with a rotozip is not practical and dangerous. I cut the hole, unscrew the outlet or switch, loose hang the sheet, pull the outlet or switch through, nail off and reinstall the outlet or switch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: