Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Matching Textured Drywall for a patch....newbie at drywall

Old 03-04-13, 02:34 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hey how are you guys doing?

I am newly trying to patch a hole from a water leak that happened in my house. The patch didnt come out as well as I first had hoped but I am thinking that if I can match the texture the patch will come out better.

What type of drywall texture is this?

Any suggestions to fix the patch?

Thanks!!!

Attached Images    
Old 03-04-13, 05:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I hope you used paper tape around the edges of your repair.

It looks like a stomp texture, either with an oval texture brush or a sponge. It doesn't appear that the mud was thinned much, if at all. Get a scrap piece of drywall, mix a little joint compound with water to make the consistancy a little thinner and apply a thin 1/8" coat of mud onto the scrap, and then take a wet oval sponge, dip it into some of the thinned joint compound and start making random "stomps" on the piece, moving about 3" or 4" over and turning the sponge to a different angle each time. Stomp the sponge around until you are satisfied and see if the texture matches pretty close when it's dry.

I mentioned the sponge since you might have one of those around... the texture brush looks like this.

Testing on a scrap is much better than doing your test on your finished ceiling and then not liking it.

Old 03-04-13, 10:41 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks!!
i did use tape, used the vinyl tape before I put the mud on.
Thanks again

Old 03-05-13, 04:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
used the vinyl tape before I put the mud on
Do you mean the self adhesive mesh tape?

How many coats of joint compound did you apply? 3 coats if the norm but ceilings with a heavy texture can often get by with just 2 coats. Each coat is wider than the previous so it feathers it out further making the joint less visible.

I've always preferred to roll the j/c on and then use a brush to give it the stomp texture but for a small repair like yours, dabbing it on with a sponge or brush should do ok.

btw - welcome to the forums Jennifer!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: