Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

What do I need to paint and repair walls and ceiling drywall?

Old 03-11-13, 03:09 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Wall drywall has just minor cracks, however, ceiling drywall in one room has about 8" hole from old light fixture. Ceiling drywall is popcorn style, so the patched hole has to be popcorned then. What do you think, do I need anything else except what I listed below? Or perhaps I don't need something from there? I just want to avoid multiple visits of hardware store and don't waste money... If you have any recommendations regarding particular brand, that would be great...

To fix the walls: joint compound plus putty knife.

To fix the ceiling drywall: do I really need piece of drywall or just apply plastic mesh patch (and spackling compound) would work?

To paint the walls and ceiling: paint (1 gallon per 350 sqft), one cover of putty for walls (do I need it actually after joint compound?), primer (once coat before putty, one coat after that before paint), 9'' roller + extension pole + roller pad + roller cover(s), paint edger (how many?), paint stir sticks (how many?), painter's tape, putty knifes (how many and what size?)

Regarding the paint, I'm thinking of Benjamin Moore Regal Select. It contains primer as well, am I right? Also, would super white color work for popcorn ceilings? Any experience?

Any recommendations regarding roller covers? How many do I need for, say, 580 sqft of ceiling (same color) and 350 + 300 + 450 sqft walls (all three different colors). I read that 3/8'' nap would work almost everywhere. Do I need particular material for ceiling/walls? Say, sheepwool, mohair, etc? Does it really worth to spend money on them? Are all rollers actualy easy to clean and reusable?

Old 03-12-13, 05:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
For an 8" hole it would be best to have a small piece of drywall to fill the hole. If you can find a house under construction [or remodel] they would likely give you a piece of scrap big enough to do the job. There are 2 ways to insert the drywall; take a piece of wood about 3"-4" longer than the hole, insert it and secure it with a screw at each end. You would then screw the patch piece to that piece of wood. The other method is to cut the drywall 2"-3" bigger than the hole, then on the backside remove the excess paper/gypsum leaving the face paper intact. You would then apply j/c around the perimeter of the hole and use the excess paper on the patch piece to 'tape' the patch in place.

For the rest of the drywall repairs - dents and dings can be filled with j/c, cracks and holes [big enough to insert your pinky] need to be taped and finished with 2-3 coats of j/c. All the repairs will likely need texture. You can buy popcorn texture in an aerosol can. What type of texture do the walls have? Some wall textures can be found in an aerosol can, all of them can be made from thinned downed j/c.

one cover of putty for walls (do I need it actually after joint compound?)
Can you better explain this

You'll want a 1" roller cover for painting the ceiling. 1/2" is normally used for the walls. If the walls are slick, 3/8" will work but 1/2" holds more paint and usually does a quicker/better job. Mohair rollers are only for rolling enamel on slick surfaces. I prefer lambswool covers but they are pricey and a novice probably wouldn't notice any difference between it and a synthetic cover. When rolling, always apply the paint liberally. Don't try and squeeze every drop of paint out of the cover - that will result in uneven coverage. All roller covers are cleanable.

Repairs should always be primed! Generally a separate primer is best although if there are only a few minor repairs [and no primer on hand] you can 'cheat' by thinning down a little of the finish paint and spot priming those areas.

I've always preferred whit ceilings but what color to paint them is up to the customer - there are no set rules or paint color police to enforce them

What do you intend to do with the woodwork? Unless stained/poly'd they are normally painted with enamel either the same color as the walls [but shinier] or a different color [often white] that is used throughout the house.

Old 03-12-13, 12:08 PM
M
Thanks a lot, marksr! Walls are just flat, no texture. Texture is on the ceiling - sort of semi-circles made of popcorn. Do you think I can reproduced it with aerosol spray? Or you recommend to purchase electric sprayer, even for that small piece of drywall? By the way, do you think I should use Gardz to seal and prime it before painting or something else (say, oil-based primer)?

Do you think I need just one 1" roller for ceiling, and one roller for walls? Don't I need more assuming walls will be of different colors? Any recommendations regarding brands and particular models? For popcorn ceiling I found Wooster® Popcorn Roller Cover. Also, some diy's recommend segmented foam, but others don't have luck with it. Is either of them good or you recommend something else? Any suggestions for walls and woodworks (thanks, by the way, for pointing out that they have to be of shiner!).

Another small question I forgot to ask is how would you deal with gaps between walls drywall and ceiling drywall? Just use joint compound and 6" drywall knife? Or something else?

Old 03-12-13, 02:35 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
How big is the gap between the wall and ceiling? I've never seen a round popcorn texture, you might be confusing it with a stomp texture. Perhaps it's time for a few pics to verify - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

I don't care for foam rollers but there are some that like them. One roller cover for the ceiling and another for the walls is plenty providing you wash the cover up before switching colors. If you don't want to clean the roller - you'll need one for each color.

You shouldn't need Gardz or an oil base primer unless you have exposed gypsum - where the drywall face paper is missing. If you have any water stains, they will need to be coated with an oil base primer.

Old 03-12-13, 03:13 PM
M
Thanks! The gap between wall and ceiling is about 1/16" or less, I would say. No, not the stomp - geometrically, it is sort of arcs or semi-circles... I'll make a picture once I return home.

Sorry, just to make sure I understood you... After I screw a drywall you suggest to use just a joint compound, and then prime and paint as usually. Am I right? Or I miss something?

Old 03-12-13, 03:27 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Caulking the gap between the ceiling/wall would be the easiest and probably best fix.
Once your patch piece of drywall is installed you need to tape the joints. Basically spread a thin coat of j/c around the perimeter [both sides] and then press in the paper tape, wiping it smooth with a knife. You need to make sure the tape coat is good and dry before applying more j/c other wise the weight of the mud might pull the tape loose.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: