Removing plaster sand swirl texture

Old 03-30-13, 09:08 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Us
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing plaster sand swirl texture

Hi all, We just bought a house that needs a lot of tlc. Beyond the many layers of wallpaper and paneling I have found the original plaster wall texture called sand swirl. I'd like to get rid of this texture and then apply a thin knockdown texture so it doesn't look so dated. I have experience with drywall but plaster is a whole new ball game. I am thinking I need to repair all existing cracks and then do a skim coat over the entire surface. I am wondering what products would be best for this? Do I need to prep the painted surface with something to ensure a good bond? I have heard so many different ideas. I'd like to do this properly without removing any plaster as the walls are structurally sound. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-31-13, 05:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 45,404
Received 785 Upvotes on 688 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I'd scrape the walls a little [if it helps] and then apply a skim coat. Regular drywall mud will adhere fine although you might need to apply a primer first in the kitchen and bath rms - especially if it's painted with oil base enamel -

I've never used plaster but normally use a setting compound like Durabond for repairs as it dries as hard as plaster does ...... but skim coating a wall with durabond requires a greater skil level. Using the ready mix joint compound that comes in a bucket [a box is some areas] is a lot more user friendly.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: