Extremely old paint removal

Old 04-12-13, 01:22 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Extremely old paint removal

Hey guys, so my parents recently decided to remove some extremely old wallpaper from their house (double brick, possibly 30-40 year old house).

They used a wall steamer to remove the wallpaper in most rooms the wallpaper slid off fine, however in 2 larger rooms there is some residue/paint left from underneath the removed wallpaper. It has been a few weeks and this old paint is somewhat 'bubbling' and slowly 'popping up' around the edges. we have been using a scraper every week, but it is in no way efficient or effective. it would take an extremely long time to wait and scrap all of this off. Even then, there are still patches where it cant be scratched off.

As of now, we believe it is extremely old paint that is reluctant to come off (i.e. the old owners put wallpaper over old paint). We have spoken to many different store members at various Bunnings stores who have all suggested different methods of removing this.

Methods that have not worked:
- sugar water
- wall steamer
- vinegar

Currently, we are using 'paint stripper' which seems to work. albeit rather ineffectively and efficiently. It takes around 2-3 applications to remove one small section of the wall and always leaves a few small patches as well that do not come off.

It does not seem very practical in terms of time, effort and price (one bottle only removes a small fraction of the total room, and we would literally need possibly 20 bottles). Also, not sure how safe it is exactly.

One store member also suggested sanding it off with a machine, but is that a job we can do, or do we need to hire someone?

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-12-13, 04:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 753 Upvotes on 658 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

When stripping wallpaper there is no need to strip the paint too. It is better to hang paper over a painted wall than one that hasn't been painted. Usually scrubbing the walls with a wet rag will remove the wallpaper adhesive - it can require a lot of elbow grease.

Before sanding into the paint you want to make sure it's not lead based!!

Old 04-12-13, 05:00 AM
I
Hi, thanks for the quick response.

i've actually done up some follow-up research about this lead issue and its quite alarming. The house is indeed very old and chances are, the old paint is lead based.

Do i have any other options (sanding was my last resort)?

Thanks again!

Old 04-12-13, 05:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You can coat the wall with an oil base primer and apply a thin skim coat of joint compound [drywall mud] to cover up the boogers.

Old 04-12-13, 05:28 AM
T
I would be surprised is a 30-40 year old house has lead based paint on the walls. You don't say what type of wall you have, plaster or drywall. I think your efforts to remove the paint (sugar water, steam etc) are introducing moisture and causing the paint to lift. I would let it dry out completely, scrape the loose edges and feather it with drywall compound then prime and paint.

Old 04-12-13, 05:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
30-40 year old house
I agree! it's not likely to have lead based paint, at least by USA standards. For some reason my brain was thinking 50 yr old house

Whenever there is wallpaper adhesive remaining on the wall it's best to seal it with either an oil base primer or Zinnser's Gardz before applying j/c or latex primer/paint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: