Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Looking for ideas..what to do with this storage area in bedrooom

Old 04-20-13, 04:05 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Just purchased a home and the home improvement bug is ON. The main bedroom is 14'4" X 16' and it has a storage area 5' x 18' 10". I'm not planning on using the storage area at all and was thinking about taking the wall down that separates the room/storage.. but before I go that far I hoping to get some ideas.

What to do? Like I said I don't want to use the area as storage. Take wall down sheetrock the area perhaps add TV, couch. Sheetrock and turn it into a huge closet area with some nice door facing the bedroom area??

I attached a few pics. Thanks!

Attached Images        
Old 04-20-13, 05:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! The knee wall supports are there to add strength to your rafters above, so they aren't going anywhere. Besides, the headspace is too reduced to allow it to be an efficient room anyway. Using your idea of a sofa or sitting area with a door to the bedroom may be a good use for it, but that's about it.

Old 04-21-13, 02:12 AM
O
Thanks chandler, can I still take down the knee wall and add the appropriate support? re-frame the opening and add collumns for support?

Old 04-21-13, 09:29 PM
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
can I still take down the knee wall and add the appropriate support? re-frame the opening and add collumns for support?
How is the roof above them framed?

Old 04-22-13, 07:34 AM
O
Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 2722
Size:  33.4 KB

here are couple pics from the attic. One is from the room the other from the attic/ceiling on room

Attached Images  
Old 04-22-13, 10:22 PM
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Those look like they're supporting the roof just fine without any support from kneewalls. That said, they also haven't been pressed into service as ceiling jousts, and aren't carrying that extra weight.

I would get a report from a structural engineer just to be on the safe side.

Old 04-30-13, 02:03 PM
O
We decided to keep the wall and sheetrock the inside and turn it into a closet. We will add another door to the other side as well. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: