Small bump in popcorn ceiling

Old 04-25-13, 09:59 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Small bump in popcorn ceiling

Hello,

Very new here and about to embark on a hopefully small project.

In the Foyer's ceiling there is a bump resulting from the little one dropping a cup of water in the heat register above that spot, water seeped onto the ceiling and sagged a round area piece of about 7".

We've decided to pull down the popcorn texture and refinish as a smooth ceiling. Do I have to cut that piece between joists i.e cut a much bigger and replace, tape, mud, sand. Or can I do what I think is a very wild idea as in rewet this area, prop a larger flat board under it to push it flat until it's almost dry in a few days then patch and sand as necessary.

Your help with this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 04-25-13, 10:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 759 Upvotes on 664 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

So there is a portion of the drywall that is water damaged? I'd cut out the damaged portion and replace it with sound drywall. You don't have to cut it out big enough to reach the ceiling joists. After you cut out the damage, insert some wood that is longer than the hole and screw it to the drywall. Once the wood is secure you can screw the patch piece to the wood.

It's possible that wetting and pressing the drywall back into shape might work but the drywall is damaged and may deteriorate anyway.

Old 04-25-13, 10:15 AM
C
Thanks for the prompt reply,

So in this case do I need to tape that joint before spackle or just mud it, snad and finish? I just don't want it to crack at the joints and I know that neither of the pieces I'll be using will have a bevel to accomodate the tape.

Old 04-25-13, 10:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 759 Upvotes on 664 Posts
Yes, any/all joints on drywall need to be taped. It would be treated like a butt joint and would be floated out about a foot.

Old 04-25-13, 10:24 AM
C
Thanks again,

I'll try that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: