Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Sound proofing ceiling with floor joists exposed

Old 05-07-13, 07:33 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I just recently purchased a duplex that has a main unit up top and a basement apartment on the bottom. As of right now, the ceilings in the basement apartment are sheetrock and are only 6'6" high. There is one room where the sheetrock has been torn down with the floor joists exposed which adds a little height and gives the illusion of more height. I will be living in the basement and wanted to know the best way to sound proof the space between the joists from the upstairs. The upstairs has hardwood floors. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 05-07-13, 07:58 AM
N
Received 21 Upvotes on 18 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Not matter what you put in, it won't look pretty open. I have the same height of basement as you do. Makes finishing and/or sound proofing tough.

That being said, is the noise you are looking to isolate the sound of the joists/floor creaking, or just regular sound and foot traffic on the floor (which I'm assuming is the case)?

You might be able to get away with ridgid foam installed tightly between the joists, flush to the floor above. This would minimize the space consumed, and should over a decent level of sound dampening from regular noise above.
Batt insulation would be much more efficient, but not as nice looking, and would probably require a plastic or some sort of finishing to keep it clean.

I haven’t addressed my ceiling as of yet. I’m still working on rerouting some pipe work and what not, so I haven’t looked too closely at it or tested anything at this time.

Old 05-07-13, 09:11 AM
N
I'm looking mostly to dampen the foot traffic and other transmitted sounds. I was planning on maybe doing some sort of insulation between the joists and then placing sheetrock over it and then painting all of it. Although I'm not sure how I would install the sheetrock into the open spaces. Any suggestions?

Old 05-07-13, 09:55 AM
N
Received 21 Upvotes on 18 Posts
I think pictures of what you are working with could help out a lot.

Old 05-08-13, 09:18 AM
T
Old 05-08-13, 10:07 AM
T
#1- Foam is the worst thing you could put in your ceiling or wall to help with sound transmission. Foam is very conductive. The best insulation is also the cheapest. Standard fiberglass batt. R19 typically for ceilings.

#2- As long as the ceiling joists are exposed, you'll get sound transmission.

Given the very limited ceiling height, your best bet might be to apply standard 5/8" drywall and a damping compound to the underside of the floor overhead. Do this 2X. This will significant;y increase the mass of the floor as well as damp the vibrations in that floor. not 100% by any means, but it allows some height in your room.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: