Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

i put fire resistant sheetrock above the stove... do I need a moisture barrier?

Old 06-04-13, 03:44 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

hey all, I put some $10 firecode drywall from home depot above stove, below range hood, on the left side is the refrigerator, on the right more cabinets. the sink is not on the same counter.
Ultimate plan is to slap on some backsplash tiles on the entire drywall board but first should I do anything for a moisture barrier? And if so what type of sealer would you recommend? thanks

Old 06-04-13, 03:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I would have installed concrete backer underlayment, but if you feel warm and fuzzy with the fire code, it's ok. You already put the board up, so a moisture barrier is a moot point. It really isn't necessary since this is not a wet area. Sealer? Not sure what you are sealing.

Old 06-04-13, 04:55 PM
B
by sealer i meant stuff like Gardz that i thought could help seal the wall from moisture. This fire code was just a very quick buy without much thought but yes its already on the wall

Old 06-04-13, 05:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Unless you have water spraying continuously on the wall, there will be no need for Redgard or any other sealant under the tile. If your tiles are semi pourous, I would seal them as the grease from the stove will soak in them pretty badly.

Old 06-05-13, 01:23 PM
B
ok thats good to know. We are putting in glass tile so I'm assuming thats not porous

Last edited by badhelp; 06-05-13 at 02:01 PM. Reason: typo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: