Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Any idea how much it could cost to replace kitchen ceiling?

Old 07-26-13, 09:46 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi group, I've had a few leaks from the 2nd floor bathroom onto the kitchen ceiling and it is time to replace it. Also, when the light fixtures were installed, the access holes made next to them were poorly patched. 3 pendants and 6 recessed lights. It is about 12x12. Trim molding all around but I could remove it if that saves me money. Picture attached. The big hole on the second picture is from a leak it is currently being fixed. The down pipe from the bathroom sticks out so drywalling around will take some extra work. Any idea how much I should pay? I am in Maryland. Thank you in advance.

Attached Images   
Old 07-26-13, 09:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 754 Upvotes on 659 Posts
Labor pricing varies greatly in different locales so the only real way to determine the cost would be to get multiple estimates. Whenever hiring a new contractor it's best to get and check references!!

Old 07-26-13, 10:24 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,197 Upvotes on 1,152 Posts
Rule of thumb is to get three or more bids so you can compare.

Or, do it yourself and have us walk you through what you need to do.

Old 07-27-13, 04:29 AM
D
I just need a ballpark idea to see if I can even think about getting an estimate. This site calculates approximately $700 for 155 sq ft.

Cost to Replace Ceiling Drywall - 2013 Cost Calculator (ZipCode based)

Old 07-27-13, 04:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I think your calculator is geared more towards new work. Repair work is a different ballgame. Most companies give free estimates .... I wouldn't pay anyone for an estimate.

Old 07-29-13, 09:15 AM
D
Good point Mark. Someone is coming this afternoon to give me an estimate. Thank you.

Old 08-22-13, 10:06 AM
D
Finally got the estimate. $2800 to do the whole kitchen ceiling. Way more than want to spend on this.
I asked him how about just to repair the hole and he said $200. I thought it was fair so I agreed to it. He never called me back and he was supposed to come a week ago. I assume he is not interested so I am going to do it myself.
I did it the first time but I wasn't happy with the results. I had used mesh tape and it never cracked. The problem was that you could still see the patch was at a different level than the rest of the drywall.
I attached a couple of pictures to see if someone could recommend how to go about this. Should I cut a much bigger hole going further than the joist you see along the left side? The main hole is 14"x16". I have a 2'x2' board to work with from Home Depot. I was planning to cut the patch maybe 15"x17", and leave an extra 2" of paper all around so I don't have to bother with tape.
Also, should I attach a 2x1 across flush with the joist and resting on the drywall on the right and then screw the new patch to it?
Thank you for any help you can give me.

Attached Images   
Old 08-22-13, 10:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The size of the patch doesn't really matter. The main thing is to float the mud out further with each coat until the repair is n o longer noticeable. Plan on 3 coats of mud.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: