Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Adding an exterior wall = do I need to pour a full foundation?

Old 08-17-13, 08:34 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Am toying with adding a wall that would bridge my main house with an addition that was done several years ago. The addition created a mini "courtyard" that I'd just like to enclose and create a larger room. The main house is a full basement (8 foot?) and the addition is built on a 3' crawl space foundation. Both are protected by full drain tile and sump pump systems.

The proposed wall I'd like to add is about ten feet in length. It will support a 1-story structure.

I'm assuming I don't need to make a full basement out of this new space, but what would be the most effective way to add this wall? Could I anchor PT beams to the existing foundations, or will I have to pour a footing? If so, would the footing need to extend past the frost line, and how would I avoid damaging the existing drain tile systems?

Tried to add a powerpoint illustration but no luck - hoping the description helps.

Attached Images  
Old 08-18-13, 03:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The drawing helps, but we can't tell which is the house and which is the addition. Assuming the blue is the addition. Would it be possible for you to upload pictures from the back so we can see elevations, etc? May help with providing better advice. Also, what will be the purpose of this wall? How big is the area it will create? Will it be heated and cooled? Electrical? How will you tie in the roof(s)?

Old 08-18-13, 08:47 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
AFAIK, you would have to pour a footing & it would have to be passed the frost line.

Old 08-18-13, 04:00 PM
D
Here is pic. A bigger description is that I've never been a fan of this sunroom and its disproportionate roof, which also seems to act as a heat sink that keeps the master bedroom (2nd story windows) warm and seems to stifle airflow a bit. What I intend to do (maybe not in this order) is remove the pitched roof, add the exterior wall joining the sun room to the addition, remove the sunroom wall facing the addition (creating a larger sunroom). Slider doors or some other 4-season window/screen system. Flat roof and second floor balcony with added slider for the master bedroom.

Biggest thing that intimidates me is excavating any significant amount in the area as I don't want to screw up the existing drainage systems. Therefore, was hoping a beam attached to both of the existing sides of the foundation would suffice. Alternatively, it would still be easier to drill down a couple of holes and create concrete piers. Am trying to avoid pouring concrete 5' deep wall-to-wall.

Old 08-18-13, 04:46 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
That job is way bigger than your first post indicated. Do you intend to file plans with the building department? If not, it could be a problem if you decide to sell the house. Even if you don't intend to file plans, I would recommend an architect anyway.

Old 08-18-13, 05:03 PM
Three existing roof lines, and you are adding a fourth?? The footing would be the least of your worries. You can always dig down to the drains, re-route them and dig to China, but the roofs scare me. Maybe an architect could come up with a viable solution. Money well spent.

Old 08-18-13, 06:00 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Chandler, with the aid of current technology, it has been determined that digging through the earth will not put us in China. It will put us in Western Australia. I wonder if architects know that yet?

Old 08-18-13, 08:53 PM
D
Sorry guys but disappointed. Asking if I'm going to file plans with the building dept? Suggesting I'm going to add a fourth roof line? Digging to China?

This was an earnest question regarding foundation options. Design and construction from the joists up I am fine with. Just wanted a better feel for what I am getting into before I start drawing. Usually can save myself some research time by asking the questions here.

Old 08-19-13, 02:37 AM
Hopefully you understand our concerns other than the footing. Yes, you must have a footing. You can re route the drainage system once you get to it. The other stuff was thrown in to make you aware of things we see. That's why we asked for pictures. If you have the roof lines figured out, then all's well and good. If you haven't gotten that far in the planning stage, then it would warrant a look-see. Sorry if we jumped the gun.

Old 08-19-13, 08:55 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I had no doubts abut the sincerity of you original question. Things like that happen all the time. They snowball into much more than anticipated. I've seen building departments ruin the best of plans. It only takes one phone call from a neighbor. That's why I asked. Those guys can really be a pain, especially 10 years later when the owner decides to sell.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: