wainscotting

Old 02-18-01, 06:35 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Please help! I have an old farmhouse that is in need of a facelift. I was thinking of putting up wainscotting but I want to put it higher than the chair rail heighth. Can you please tell me how high to go? Also, I have rounded window wells and would like to know how to square them off so I can put up the wainscotting. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kandee

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-01, 10:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Wainscotting

I just did it in our house. Our ceilings were 9 ft high and I did it to 4 feet and then added a 1 inch moulding on the top. It looks great. I think wainscotting is a personal preference. I would place it against the wall at different heights and see which you might prefer. A rule of thumb I came across was always less then 1/2 of the height of your wall, unless you like it or need to cover up parts of the wall. Totally up to you, good luck.

Old 03-15-01, 04:45 PM
Smile

Kandee,

I agree with Stacey. There is a lot of personal preference in this project. Deside what kind you want to go with and like Stacey says, lay it up against the wall and you will be able to decide for yourself. By the way, I am in the middle of the same project.

I first decided on the pattern I wanted then bought 1 pack of 3 and cut at different lengths to set up against the wall until I decided on the height. Make sure the first piece is level and square, then join them together on down the wall. REMEMBER: This is your house, do it like YOU want it ! Good luck

Search this Thread