Drywall Cracks

Old 09-01-13, 05:40 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Drywall Cracks

Hi,

I live in a pretty old house that is was renovated (read poorly) by the bank. We have knockdown on our walls and it covers poorly placed drywall. Now, while we have some drywall cracks that are vertical and on the seams, we also have some on door corners etc. Then again, i live in an old house (1940s).

However, today i noticed this crack. It looks like it was slowly ripped and that is what worries me.

Any advice?

This might be drywall, but it could also be plaster as we have some areas that are still plaster.

Thanks

Old 09-01-13, 06:41 PM
T
I'm pretty sure that one is plaster and I can see that it was patched quick and dirty once before. It should have been taped before they slopped the compound on it.

Old 09-02-13, 04:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I've had success with just scratching out plaster cracks and filling them with durabond..... but regular joint compound should be taped. You'll want to thin down some j/c to try and replicate the texture so the repair won't be noticeable.

Old 09-02-13, 05:36 AM
B
I will try these things. Thank you so much.

If it is an old crack they patched up i am not worried. Its new movement in an old house i am worried about!

Someone trying to do a quick patch sounds exactly like the previous owner.

thx

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: