Load bearing wall... now what?

Old 09-14-13, 03:33 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Load bearing wall... now what?

I'm remodeling a small apartment area and want to remove the center wall between the two rooms. This is on the second floor and immediately above there is a small pitch and then the roof.

After removing the drywall it appears this wall is indeed load bearing? For the roof at least. From what I can see from up top, the perpendicular beam ends overlay on each side of this wall. This was built well over 30 years ago.

What are my options at this point? I will certainly call someone in, yet will it need a large beam spanned across?
Or perhaps the sandwiched 2x4s on top can be braced with 1 more on each side, and leave the end point loads in tact?

More pics to come.

Name:  100MEDIA$IMAG0681.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  27.6 KB

Attached Images    

Last edited by bobbobobbo; 09-14-13 at 04:04 AM.
Old 09-14-13, 04:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums, and thanks for the pictures. Definitely call in a structural engineer to make sure things are as they need to be for removal, and to gain on site information. Are the ceiling joists running perpendicular or parallel to this wall? You said there were beam tails sitting on this wall. That in itself, would tell me it is load bearing. Is it in the two story part or the single story part of the house? Upstairs or downstairs?

Old 09-14-13, 05:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 359 Votes on 316 Posts
Is it possible to get a pic or two in the attic above the wall in question?

Old 09-14-13, 01:23 PM
B
This is on the second story. Directly above is a very shallow pitch and then the roof.
It's hard to gain access to the "attic" void space above, yet from the side it looks as if there is a very thick center beam going along the top of the roof, then ceiling joists running perpendicular to it, basically attached to the center beam underneath. The wall in question is running perpendicular to the ceiling joists, and looks to eventually be directly underneath that main thick center beam thats at the top of the roof.

Yet it can be seen here that the wall essentially ends 3/4 way over. It hits a point load (perhaps) where the doors used to meet. Underneath that point load on the first floor there is a steel beam spanning across underneath I believe.

Attached Images  
Old 09-14-13, 01:35 PM
B
For some reason everything I typed just got replaced by the original post.

Anyway, it is on the second story. Above is a very small void and then the roof. The ceiling joists are going perpendicular to the wall, I believe they stop on the wall, yet I can't be certain. There is a very large beam at the point of the roof, then essentially attached underneath are the ceiling joists. It's all hard to tell as there's not much space up there.

Though it's strange as the wall stops at the end where 2 doors would be. It doesn't extend to the other end of the building.. it goes about 2/3rds through.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: