Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Expanded wire mesh plaster wall repair

Old 10-08-13, 11:03 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I need to drill some 1-1/2" - 2" holes in an older home that has expanded wire mesh and plaster (cement plaster) walls.

What is the best way to patch the holes so that they are as close to the original as possible. I've read that plaster of paris sets too quickly and is prone to cracking. I want these holes to be as inconspicuous as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-08-13, 12:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I usually use a piece of drywall and durabond to make those types of repairs. Drywall products work well for those of us without plaster experience. Regular joint compound is too soft for plaster but the setting compounds work well.

You'll probably need to figure out the best way to set the drywall in place [or post a pic or two] You want the drywall just shy of plaster so you can build up the patch level with the plaster. Is there any texture on the wall?

Hopefully our plaster pro will be along later with advice on how to repair it with plaster if you want to go that route

Old 10-08-13, 10:04 PM
T
Received 48 Upvotes on 41 Posts
How do you intend to cut the holes?
Is this Portland cement plaster or gypsum plaster?
Is this an interior or exterior wall?
And can you show us a picture that shows the texture?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: