do i need a breathing membrane?

Old 02-14-01, 10:38 AM
Visiting Guest
i have a modular storage building company in ireland. i have begun a new range os shed. they are constructed with 2*4 lumber and are sheathed on the outside with half inch OSB, then i have proposed to apply another sheathing on the outside of this. i have two options i would like to produce, 1 is quarter inch exterior grade 8*4 sheet material which will be painted. the second option is to use a clap-board on the outside, the clap-board is of irish softwood and is kiln-dried, it can be prone to some open knot holes, this will also be painted.
i am wondering if i need to put any breathing membranes between the OSB and the exterior sheathing. i would also like to know the difference and/or benefits/disadvantages of tar-paper or housewrap.

thanking you in advance of your opinion!
bundy

Old 02-24-01, 07:58 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
hello in ireland

if your clapboards will be painted moisture won't be able to get in them and you won't need a breathing barrier

actually the only use i know of for these mesh like dealios is under cedar shake shingles to keep them dry underneath and prevent premature rot on roofs

housewrap reminds me of weed block
it keeps air and water out but lets moisture from the inside out i dont know any specific benefits for a storage building as i understand it its mostly an infiltration barrier in houses but hey what do i know

hope this helps---------josh

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: