Mold in my shower wall

Old 10-30-13, 01:18 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mold in my shower wall

Yes..another mold question. Our home is 3 years old. Our tiled shower wall is wall shared with our bedroom. The bedroom wall started showing mold around baseboard. The builder came and pulled drywall off the bedroom side of wall and found a shower head connection hadn't been tightened and had been leaking for 3 years. We removed the drywall from bedroom side that was black and moldy. The part having issue with is the shower side. I pulled a lot of the moldy paper off the drywall and treated several times with Hydrogen peroxide and vinegar. I haven't been able to see any growth in 6 weeks since I did this. I'm just a little concerned still. I am unable to treat the drywall where it is connected to wall studs and I'm sure there is mold behind the studs. I can see it looks black in the crevice where they meet.

To remove the drywall we'd have to completely redo our tiled shower. The builder has indicated they would do whatever it took to make it right but they are hoping to paint Kilz over it and close it up. Just not sure..don't want to have mold coming through again in 5 years and be out of luck.

Old 10-30-13, 03:15 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Is the drywall compromised in any way? Once the outer layer of paper in removed or destroyed, drywall loses all its integrity. Can you tell me of the construction of the shower? Did they tile directly on the drywall of is there a membrane sandwiched between the tile and the drywall? If you can scratch the drywall from the bedroom side (back side of the shower) and all you have is dry gypsum, the shower needs to be redone as it will fail in do course. Paint is not a substitute for the outer layer of paper on drywall. Soaked drywall most of the time compromises both sides of the drywall, so it may have damaged the other side as well.

Old 10-30-13, 04:10 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,197 Upvotes on 1,152 Posts
Wait a minute - this sheetrock you're talking about peeling the paper from on the backside of the shower - this is sheetrock and on the other side of it is attached tile? So, another way, the tile in your shower is mounted on sheetrock? If so, make him tear it out and start over and use cement board instead of sheetrock under the tile.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: