Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Covering existing windows with drywall

Old 11-18-13, 04:19 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Has anyone ever covered their windows with drywall? We are looking to either soundproof our windows with laminated glass to block outside noise (which is proving to be very pricey) or to just take the trim off of the windows and cover them with drywall (which seems the cheaper option). Any advice on how to do this exactly (and how avoid condensation on the walls behind the drywall & any other problems covering these could cause) would be helpful. We would also add green glue and another layer of drywall over the wall as well for better soundproofing. Thanks in advance!

Old 11-18-13, 04:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 285 Posts
Are you planning on just covering up the windows temporarily, or is this a permanent plan? If permanent, are you going to finish the outside or inside?

Old 11-18-13, 04:46 PM
J
Permanent. From the outside it would look like windows are there but from the inside it will just be a wall.

Old 11-18-13, 05:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 285 Posts
If it is permanent, why not fully remove the windows, in-fill them with 2x4's or 6's, add some insulation, and side over the holes? You will get the best looking and best sound blocking performance. Material cost would likely be less than $100 total if you DIY it.

I have a small window that the previous owners did what you are thinking and it REALLY looks like crap. There are dead bugs in there and you can see the insulation. It is one of my "to do" things.

Old 11-18-13, 05:08 PM
J
If we completely remove the windows then we will need to replace the siding in that area. The siding was put on 10yrs ago and I am afraid it will not match in color and will be costly.

Old 11-18-13, 05:19 PM
You're not planning on doing the bedroom windows I hope -- that would a violation of building/fire codes.

Old 11-18-13, 06:51 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There has to be a dozen different way to do this and look a whole lot better then drywall.
Better windows.
Making sure there's expanding foam around the windows under trim.
Better insulation in the walls, anything but sheetrock over them.
Going to be one dark house if you do this, and possibly violate fire codes.
Is this just vinyl siding?
Got some pictures of the outside?

Old 11-19-13, 05:08 AM
J
There are 4 windows in the room, I am looking to just get rid of 2.
They are new construction windows so they are under the siding & therefore the siding would have to be removed to replace them - a lot of money I assume. They are air tight as well. The STC rating on them is low so the sound just travels through.
Another layer of drywall on the walls will most likely have to be done too.
Yes, just vinyl siding but it is 10 yrs old and I have heard that every 10yrs manufactures change the color and/or ridges in the siding so you have to reside everything (not just patches) if you want it to look right.
Not sure how to post pics?

Old 11-19-13, 05:32 AM
J
It's rare that I can not find siding that matches.
If yours is some off color it will have faded over time so the colors may not match exactly but if it's white it should not be a problem.
Siding is not that expensive unless you have some odd ball quadruple insulated siding like I do.
That's a pet peeve of mine when I find windows and doors left in place.
Just makes 0 since to me.
If you have a poorly constructed house, builder grade windows, no insulation or it's poorly done just coving up a few windows is going to any good.
Overview

Old 11-19-13, 05:40 AM
J
That's just the thing, the house isn't poorly constructed - the old owners just put in too many windows facing a busy road and now we are left to fix the problem. I'm just trying to find the most cost effective and best solution to the problem. I will post a pic.

Old 11-19-13, 05:52 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
It is difficult to get good performance with half a job. Even though those other two windows don't face the source of noise they are contributing to what you hear. Also, the walls, floors, and ceiling are part of the equation. A question you might want to answer first would be, if you eliminated 100% of the noise coming through the two windows in question, is that good enough?

As a test, you can cover the two with a couple of layers of anything that can absorb sound, improvise. Then see if it helps. I suspect the results may not be satisfactory. Since you mention green glue I know you have been researching this issue. Green glue helps, but requires a rigid structure and typically a third layer. The sheetrock over the middle of the window, if not supported will pas the low frequencies right through.

If this were my project, I would fabricate some interior panels so I can test until I get the desired results. Essentially you can build a sound proof room within a room.

Bud

Last edited by Bud9051; 11-19-13 at 05:53 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-19-13, 06:04 AM
J

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: