Installing drop ceiling dilemma

Old 11-26-13, 02:12 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing drop ceiling dilemma

Hey gang, I'm installing a drop ceiling in my basement where I made my laundry room. My dilemma is that I boxed off the I-beam with 2x4's and drywall which makes the width for the one section of ceiling 44 inches and the other section 21 1/2 inches. My panels are 2x4 which matches the rest of the basement.

My question is do I have to install 2 main Tees and run the panels the length of the area or can I just cut the panels down to the width and use the wall angles and cross Tees?

Old 11-26-13, 04:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,748 Upvotes on 1,572 Posts
If it's less than 48" you can cut them to length and use wall angles and cross tees. If you have anything heavy being mounted in the 44" side, (lights or speakers) you might need to tie a few wires.

Old 11-27-13, 05:49 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
OK, thanks XSleeper. The only thing that's being mounted are recessed lights (3 of them over a 211 inch span. I don't think they'll be too heavy for the wall angles or cross tees. They're 6" IC.

Old 11-27-13, 04:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,748 Upvotes on 1,572 Posts
You may want to wire each light up after it is installed, just to take some of the weight off of the ceiling tile. Otherwise in a few years it will start to sag and bend your ceiling tile. Adding a thin plywood backer is also a good idea so that the light can clip onto something solid that won't crush.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: