Sagging (pillowed) ceiling fix?

Old 12-06-13, 09:24 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sagging (pillowed) ceiling fix?

Hey all,

So my wife and I purchased this house (ranch house) recently and we are in the process of doing some updates. In our back living room (new addition previous homeowners built) the ceiling is sagging (pillowing) between the joists. The joists are 24" on center. I am assuming they used 1/2" sheetrock for the ceiling instead of 5/8" sheetrock and the weight of the insulation is causing it to sag.

My question is how do I fix this? I have considered tearing down the ceiling and replacing with new 5/8". Only problem is I know this is will be a HUGE mess do to the blown-in insulation in the attic above. My other option I was considering was placing 1x3 fir strips on the joists and attaching 5/8" sheetrock to that. Only problem is this back living room isn't on its own. It is actually just one huge room that goes from back living room to dining room (kitchen off of dining room), to front living room. If I went the fir strip route I am assuming I would have to re-do the entire ceiling which the large area is roughly 49'x15' until you hit the kitchen and front living room where it becomes a lot wider.

Word document attached with a small layout of the area.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Help?

Thanks,

Greg

Attached Files
File Type: doc
misc.doc (28.0 KB, 184 views)
Old 12-06-13, 01:34 PM
T
Received 16 Votes on 14 Posts
End your new ceiling at a logical place in a straight line and then finish the return so you have a little offset. If you can't stand the look of this then fur it all out and rerock the whole lid. Will your joists stand the extra weight?

Old 12-06-13, 02:26 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The drawing was useless.
Just a picture would have better.
May seem like a lot of work but if you want it to look right, got to do it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: