Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Need help with cement ceiling problems!

Old 12-30-13, 03:18 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi Looking for advice! We are renovating a condo that we purchased to use as a rental. The building is all cement, and was built in 1987. All the units are comprised of two floors each. The ceilings on the second floor of the units and floors on both levels are concrete. The second floor ceilings have popcorn , which is nasty, old and dirty looking, so weve decided to remove it from ours. When we removed it in the bedroom (second floor), we discovered an area in the ceiling that may have had some prior patching done, which started crumbling off when we removed the popcorn (looks like it may have had water damage in the past, as there some small areas that are black in spots) leaving a really uneven surface with gouges.

We would have liked to put sheetrock over the cement ceiling for a cleaner look and to hide all the imperfections (its not at all smooth), but the ceilings are very low (7) so we dont want to lower them even more. Instead we are thinking of just painting over the cement ceilings after repairing the area that is crumbling.

Does anyone have recommendations as to what to use (and how) to do the repair, and what kind of paint can be used over concrete? Also, any suggestions other than painting without having to lower the ceiling further would really be appreciated! I can provide pics if needed. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Old 12-31-13, 01:19 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
2 ways to address this: 1, traditional incl patching conc & paint; or 2, 1/4" sheetrock on new 1/2" furring strips.

stay away from any lighting near the ceiling as uneven ceilings WILL cast annoying shadows & reveal quickly shoddy work.

we did #1 but conc repairs were my work - there are overhead cementitious polymer-modified patching mtls but you need to find them at pro const supply houses. all you need from an apron/vest store is plastic sheeting for catching the spoil/dirt/junk - best !

ps - cement is an ingredient of conc

Old 12-31-13, 04:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 757 Upvotes on 662 Posts
They usually spray the popcorn to hide any defects in the concrete ceiling finish If I didn't want to fur it down and install drywall, I'd probably patch the ceiling the best I could, shoot a different texture [maybe knockdown] and then paint.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 12-31-13, 02:13 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Many thx to all for the advice! Will probably go with the patch/paint option. Thx for the help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: