Ceiling Off Angle Drywall

Old 01-07-14, 06:18 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Off Angle Drywall

I need some advice on off angle drywall on a ceiling. We've got a a vaulted ceiling in our house for the ceiling come off the wall at an angle for about 5 feet before it goes flat at the top of the ceiling. Slope goes from the top of the 8' wall to the flat ceiling that is at 10'. At the transition between the angle and flat part of the ceiling there is a small valley in the drywall mud. The people installing the drywall are telling me that that little valley is normal, but I don't think it is. I feel like those angles should a sharp angle.

Can someone give me some advice on this? I feel like the drywallers are just telling me this to save themselves work.

I don't have a picture of this right now, but can probably get one later on today if that helps.

Old 01-07-14, 06:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
The bottom line is that the drywall will follow the framing. If there is a dip in the framing, (or a high spot on the framing) there is very little that a drywaller can do about it. He might have been able to shim the framing to eliminate it, but in most cases, adjusting the framing is not part of the drywallers job.

A good drywall finisher can usually hide most of the irregularities in the drywall by the way he finishes the drywall. There are various products that help to create a straighter corner- vinyl bead... metal reinforced tape- which can help to create a straighter line. But even some of that is limited in what it can accomplish and it still requires some skill on the part of the finisher.

If you make it known that you want those angles to be really straight they will probably try harder, knowing that you are going to be inspecting their work. But don't ask the impossible... they didn't build the house and it isn't their fault if the framing has settled or sagged. They can only do as good of a job as they can with the plate they have been dealt.

Old 01-07-14, 06:36 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Really need that picture.
If it's what I'm thinking they should have used metal reinforced paper tape for that seam.

Old 01-07-14, 06:38 AM
B
XSleeper, thanks for your feedback. You're right that the drywallers didn't build the house. The catch is we are building the house the house right now (I should have clarified that). So you're saying it was potentially a framing problem? I'm just trying to make sure I have all the ammo I need to go into the builder and tell them to fix it since I'm currently getting the answer "that's the way it is"

Old 01-07-14, 06:45 AM
B
joecaption1, I'll try and get the picture, but I am guessing you are right about what they should have used. I'm assuming using metal reinforced tape is common practice for off-angles?

I do have a picture of the framing to give you an idea of the angle I am talking about.

I do have

Attached Images  
Old 01-07-14, 06:56 AM
Group Moderator
It is common practice, provided the drywaller knows ahead of time that he has a crooked corner to fix.... provided he brings it with him, and provided he's getting paid extra to take the time to fix something that is out of the ordinary. You would think all drywallers would keep some in their truck, but truthfully, I have not met a whole lot of drywallers who care. Not lumping them all into the same category, but in most cases, drywallers just have that attitude that they aren't magicians and they aren't getting paid to take the extra time to fix something that isn't their problem, so they are just going to do the best they can with what they've got.

Judging by your trusses, it's possible that one got flipped end for end and the inside corner angle is a bit off compared to the others on each side of it. Or maybe it just got set a little off. The only way to know would have been to run a stringline right down the inside corner of the trusses and see how straight that angle is.

So yeah, if the trusses were off, that's your builder.

Please tell me they are using 5/8" rock on the ceiling. (I would hope so, as that's the standard).

Old 01-07-14, 06:59 AM
B
XSleeper, not sure what thickness they are using for the drywall. Never though to ask.

As far as the framing goes, I'm doubting it is the issue because the valley runs the entire length of the seem. Does that make sense?

Old 01-07-14, 07:21 AM
Group Moderator
It is VERY common for such an angle to be off, and it is almost always the framing. The framer would have to set those trusses arrow straight in order for there NOT to be a dip or wave in the drywall at that corner.

I don't know how else to explain it.

Trusses are all made on a pattern. They need to be placed on the framing in exactly the same way they came off the pattern. If one of them gets flipped in the opposite direction, it usually will not match exactly. If it is off even 1/4", that is going to be a big deal.

The point where trusses sit on the exterior wall is also critical. If the truss sits too far in or out on the exterior wall, it also changes where that inside corner is (compared to the other trusses) and this can create either a bulge or a dip.

It is possible that it could be the way the drywall was hung, and if it is, it's because the sheet on the angled portion of the ceiling could have slid too far onto the flat portion of the ceiling. If the drywall was not hung straight at that inside corner, (if you look down the inside corner before they put the tape on and the drywall appeared to be staggered or stairstepped instead of a perfectly straight line) then the drywallers created their own problems.

It is hard to say and you will probably have a battle on your hands. The best thing you could do is tell the drywallers you want those angles to be straighter, and tell the GC the same, letting them both know that you won't be paying for a substandard job.

Old 01-07-14, 07:27 AM
B
Xsleeper, thanks! I follow what you're saying. I'll see if I can get a picture and maybe that will help. The line is nice and straight so that's not the issue. There is just a valley running all the way along the line.

Old 01-07-14, 07:30 AM
Group Moderator
Okay. I bet I know what you are seeing.

When drywall is installed, the first thing the drywall finishers will do is "prefill". They go around and put mud in any gaps that are over 1/8" wide. If the gap is large, say 1/2" wide, the mud will shrink back as it dries and create a dip or valley in the mud.

If that's the case, it is not a big deal. They probably haven't even put the tape on yet. How far along are they?

Even if the dip is in the tape, that will all get filled in by their next 2 coats.

Old 01-07-14, 07:32 AM
B
XSleeper, I bet that might be the exact case. The problem is that they have completed the taping and even the ceiling texture. I'm wondering if they didn't prefill the way the should have.

Old 01-07-14, 07:37 AM
Group Moderator
ohhhh. Hmm. Well that could be. If there was a large gap, and it wasn't prefilled, the tape would be pretty wimpy and could certainly either bulge or dip, depending. Since it's winter and if there is no insulation in the attic yet, I bet they have had propane heaters in there- they create a lot of moisture or frost and maybe that has done something funny to the tape.

Hopefully your builder will agree that this needs to be fixed.

Old 01-07-14, 07:40 AM
B
Yeah when the hung it, it looked like there was a pretty good gap (of course I didn't take a picture of that). But it sounds like it shouldn't be a terrible fix so I am going to push them on this one pretty hard.

Old 01-07-14, 07:46 AM
Group Moderator
Those large gaps should have been filled with Durabond setting compound, which is just a harder type of joint compound that doesn't shrink much and is best suited for that sort of thing since it is often fast setting.

Old 01-07-14, 09:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
What kind of knife did they use on the off angle? Some of the finishers around here like to use a rubber paddle on off angles. It does a decent job but you loose the crisp angle that most of us are used to.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: