Can't get seam tape off

Old 03-01-14, 01:49 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can't get seam tape off

I need to repair a seam tape bump on my ceiling but the seam tape won't come off except where it has bubbled right down the middle. Some of the texture paint and mud had come off. How can I make the repairs if I can't get the tape off?

Old 03-01-14, 02:42 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 753 Upvotes on 658 Posts
Can't you just cut out the offending area of the tape?

Old 03-01-14, 06:29 PM
S
No, I tried. With several layers of textured paint and skim coat won't release even with using a scraper.

Old 03-02-14, 04:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Use a utility knife to cut into and thru the paint, texture, j/c and tape - try not to cut into the drywall itself.

Old 03-02-14, 05:18 AM
S
I've been doing that, broke several razor blades. The skim coats are too hard, possibly a previous coverup/attempted repair was made using something that set really hard. We'll just keep trying.

Old 03-02-14, 05:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It sounds like maybe a setting compound like Durabond was used - it dries hard

Old 03-02-14, 08:53 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
As hard as he describes it, it may be a plaster veneer coat that was used. That stuff won't cut but will chip off if hit with a hammer. I use durabond almost exclusively and never have I broken a utility blade. Are you by chance using the kind of utility knifes that you "snap" off a section to get a sharp point again? If so, you need a heavy duty utility knife that takes the trapezoid style blades.

Old 03-02-14, 10:08 AM
S
The knife I'm using is a heavy duty one, not the break off kind. I'll try the hammer, it probably is durabond. Thank you for your suggestion.

Old 03-02-14, 11:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I use durabond almost exclusively and never have I broken a utility blade.
I use a lot of Durabond too but I don't think I've eve had occasion to cut out any of it.

it may be a plaster veneer coat that was used
I had thought that too but figured they wouldn't have textured over plaster ...... but after re reading the original post I see it was texture paint

Old 03-02-14, 01:21 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I use a lot of Durabond too but I don't think I've eve had occasion to cut out any of it.
Marksr - If you don't wet the tape first when using durabond, you end up with spaces where the tape did not catch. At least I used to run into that problem. I would cut out the offending area and re-try. So I don't think Durabond cuts any different than regular JC. I use it because I can't afford to wait on regular JC to dry when doing repair work. I sometimes hit it with a hair dryer to speed up the cure so I can get on to the next coat.

Old 03-02-14, 05:52 PM
T
Received 41 Upvotes on 34 Posts
This is only an aside to this thread.
I do acres and acres of repairs. I use this almost exclusively for patches.
Don't be confused. This is not mesh tape. I have not found a downside to this vs. paper. It costs more but to me it is worth it. If there is a bit of a dry spot under the tape more compound of whatever kind can be pressed through to bond the tape to the wall board. OK one downside. it is fiberglass with the attendant bit of irritation when handling it but it is not nearly as bad as insulation.
FibaFuse Paperless Drywall Tape - SAINT-GOBAIN ADFORS

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: