Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

What type of ceiling texture and how to match ceiling?

Old 04-03-14, 07:31 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a small repair to the ceiling in my kitchen that I am going to try to fix myself, if possible. I have some patches on the ceiling in my kitchen where water had come through (Ceiling has been dry for about 2-3 years) and now the texture on the ceiling is bubbled and I need to scrap off an area of 4' x 4' and redo the texture to match the ceiling. What's the best way to do this? And how was the texture done on the enclosed pictures? A brush? Sponge? Please help. thank you.

Attached Images    
Old 04-03-14, 12:00 PM
T
Received 41 Upvotes on 34 Posts
There are all kinds of possibilities of the tool used.
You can experiment with that.
The principle is the same for all.
Thin down some joint compound to about pancake batter consistency. Dip the tool into the mud and stomp it against the ceiling. You usuall get about three stomps per dip and then dip and repeat.
I use a piece of burlap stapled over a carpet pad wrapped over a piece of plywood about 12" in diameter. I should have made it a little smaller so it would reach to the bottom of a 5 gal plastic bucket. With this and varying the consistency of the mud and the stroke and whether or not I twist the tool as I take it away from the ceiling, I can get all kinds of textures.
A round brush, a crowsfoot brush, a large sea sponge, some shag carpet on plywood a piece of neoprene on plywood. . . there are all kinds of variations. Have fun. Experiment until you get it. Stiffer mud makes a heavier texture. thinner mud a lighter texture.

Old 04-03-14, 01:34 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 759 Upvotes on 664 Posts
I would add that you need to fill the area in [smooth] with joint compound before you're ready for texture. Hard to say without seeing more of the ceiling but I'd probably use a sponge or brush to replicate the texture.

Old 04-03-14, 03:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,749 Upvotes on 1,573 Posts
Kind of looks to me like someone just used runny joint compound and spread it out with a 1/4" roller cover. Some pictures from a little farther away that give us a broader view, but still show the detail might help.

Old 04-04-14, 04:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 759 Upvotes on 664 Posts
Are you sure about the roller size? Back in the 70's I rolled a good bit of texture on walls/ceilings but we always used a 1"-1.5" roller nap.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: