Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Sound coming from ceiling / wall at random intervals

Old 07-04-14, 05:51 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

About three weeks ago I started hearing a sound coming from the ceiling near the outer wall in one of our bedrooms. I first noticed it at night but after some observation it happens throughout the day. Below is what I observed and some facts about the house:
  • It sounds like something is dropped onto wood, similar to but not water because it sounds "harder" like metal.
  • It's just one time, each time.
  • I checked the ventilation area that runs along the house under the roof and didn't see anything.
  • I checked the attic but didn't hear or see anything.
  • It happens whether the AC is running or not.
  • The house is 10 years old.
  • We lived here 2 years and never heard this until now.

After doing some searches online I thought it may be the death watch beetle but I don't think it is after hearing recordings of their sound. The beetle's sound is more of a clicking sound and can be very frequent, which is rather different from what I hear.

Old 07-04-14, 12:59 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It could be an animal. Is it a second floor bedroom? If it is, use binoculars to inspect the house. Is there a tree close to the section where you hear the noise? What about the chimney?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: