Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

drywall or joint compound over popcorn ceiling

drywall or joint compound over popcorn ceiling

Old 03-13-01, 11:33 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi,
I recently bought a home built in 1974 with popcorn ceilings. The ceilings have been painted at least once. A neighbor has already confirmed our ceilings have asbestos. We would like to cover the popcorn. I am more apt to pay a pro to do the job. I have several questions:
1.) Can I put drywall over the popcorn? All ceilings are horizontal. If so, what is the best thickness of drywall?
2.) If I want a new texture or smooth, can a pro just use joint compund over the popcorn versus drywall and whatever finish needs to be done to the drywall?
3.) Is there a significant cost difference between #1 & #2 above?

If drywall can be done, I wouldn't want it to sag anywhere. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-01, 10:17 AM
Visiting Guest
dpendlet
you can remove the popcorn, as long as you keep it damp, we use a garden sprayer with hot water and we add a bottle of DIF wallpaper stripper, spray the ceiling down keep it damp, then get a wall paper stripper, it's a T handle tool that has a 4" single edge razor blade, take and lay the blade flat against the ceiling and take your time and scrape the popcorn from the ceiling, Just remember to keep it damp also wear a dust mask, also I would put down a blue plastic trap to cover floors plus it's an easy clean up.
Good Luck
Frank
Frankawitz Custom Painting &
Plastering Repairs