Drywall Questions

Old 07-27-14, 06:09 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Drywall Questions

I am hanging drywall in a room where the height is not quite exactly 8 foot. Someone told me that when you 'hang' drywall, it should not touch the floor. (The floor is wood if that matters.) So, I'm thinking I should cut it at the bottom edge so that it is not touching the floor.

My question is: Is it important that the Drywall NOT touch the floor? or is it ok if it does?

Old 07-27-14, 06:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 431 Votes on 385 Posts
The biggest issue with drywall touching the floor is if any liquid gets spilled [or water leak] the drywall sill suck up the moisture and may get ruined. Normally drywall sets about a 1/2" up off of the floor.

Old 07-27-14, 06:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,002 Votes on 911 Posts
Drywall doesn't normally touch the floor because of the standard heights that walls are built nowdays. A double top plate and sill plate are 4 1/2". Studs are 92 5/8". when you hang 5/8" drywall on the ceiling, that give you 96 1/2" of height. 2 sheets of 4x8 drywall are 96". So as Marksr said, that leaves 1/2" under the drywall. Any finished flooring added on top of the subfloor reduces that gap, hiding it. So maybe that's why your wall is under 8ft.

While it's okay for the drywall to touch the floor, the point marksr mentioned is valid if you're in a wet location. It's also easier to install if there's a gap so that you can stick your drywall toe lift underneath it and raise the sheet up tight to the next one.

Old 07-27-14, 06:43 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, the 'over-floor' is tight up to the base plate. That is probably where the height has been lost. I will consider cutting it to get it properly hung. THANKS!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: