Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

joining wooden ceiling to drywall walls

Old 08-04-14, 05:39 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I'm getting a flat roof insulated with spray foam and i've removed the drywall ceiling (and insulation) to do this. We're actually thinking of putting a wooden ceiling in once the insulation is done as we liked the look of the lath and plaster wooden slats when i removed the ceiling.

Does anyone have any advice on how i would join the ceiling to the drywall walls? The ceiling will now have to sit inside the walls presumably. I know that typically the ceiling is put above/outside the walls and then taped to the walls once they're up. Will it be ok if the walls are not taped to the new wooden ceiling?

The spray foam insulation is meant to be protected by a 30 min rated fire wall, will any wooden roof meet this criteria? Perhaps it would be easier to put fire rated drywall on the ceiling, tape it to the walls and then put the wooden ceiling over the drywall ceiling.

Also does anyone have advice on how best to fix the wooden slats to the ceiling? Do i need tongue and grooved wood? I assume i'd just screw the slats into each joist (or 2nd joist). I'm thinking of 1.5" wide slats, perhaps cedar. Not sure if i'd finish it with varnish/oil etc.

Ps i damaged the paper of the drywall on the walls when i removed the ceiling, i assume this can be repaired easily with mud?

Cheers
oman
Name:  P1050870.jpg
Views: 1205
Size:  20.2 KBName:  P1050871.jpg
Views: 1866
Size:  28.1 KB

Old 08-04-14, 06:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
How big of an area are you talking about? You can use tongue and groove pine beadboard planks across the existing rafters, without slats if you want. On the edges, rip pieces of the beadboard into 1x2 pieces and use them for trim, if you wish. You have a nailer on the left in the bottom picture, just make sure you have a nailer on the opposite side.

Old 08-04-14, 06:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
I doubt the wood will have any fire rating so you will likely still have to put up drywall, and maybe a tape coat. After that you can put up wood. Your local inspector should be able to tell you what is required.

For where the wood meets the walls, most cases I just use some 3/4" x 3/4" cove molding.

Old 08-05-14, 03:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Crown molding is also an option to complete the transition.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: