Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Removing Plaster Wall Texture

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

Posts: n/a

03-15-01, 12:07 PM   #1  
I'm thinking about buying a home that was built in the 60's.
The home has painted plaster walls with a swirly brush stroke texture to them. I'm wondering what can be done to remove the texture from the plaster walls.

Sponsored Links
's Avatar
Visiting Guest

Posts: n/a

03-17-01, 08:53 AM   #2  
Well robotmike
Get ready for some heavy duty workout, what you may need to get is a grider, the hand ones that body shops use, and have at it, if the texture is just joint compound you may be able to use a scraper on it, but once you have all the texture knocked down get some Durabond in the brown bags, we use 90 on large jobs, it give you time to put it up on the walls then smooth it out, after it drys then take topping compound and skim coat the walls, then let it dry over night, turn the heat up to 72, you can also put a fan in the room to move the air around, as long as the humity is low it should dry over night, then get yourself a finish sander and sand to a smooth finish after prime using Block Filler, the spackle then paint
Good Luck
Frankawitz Custom Painting &
Plastering Repairs

Search this Thread