DRYWALL PRICES

Old 03-16-01, 10:29 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

OK, I have prices for drywalling my house. The subcontractors do not break down into materials and labor for the job. If the total bid is $10,700, how much of that would most likely be labor? The house is a 1 1/2 story, loft home. There is a room above the garage which comes in 90 degrees on the one side, so the ceiling is gabled and all is drywall. Total Sq ft is 1880, house is 42 x 24 with 24 x 24 garage connected. Any help appreciated, I'm looking to save some $ and do the drywalling. I have a couple of friends that have done this, but I don't know how much I can save. If it's $4-5000 then maybe I will.
Thanks
Keegan

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-01, 08:20 AM
Visiting Guest
Keegan
Well I don't know what state your in but up here in Michigan the Insurance Company's will pay $1.10 a sqft to hang and finish, but looking at your numbers they are charging you $5.60 a sqft, That's some good money, you could rent a drywall lift and buy the board for around $560.00 for the board which would be 12'x4'1/2 sheetrock, I would use 5/8's in the ceilings this will cost more but not that much, as for the lift you should be able to rent it for under a $100.00 for a week, I figured the job out and it should of cost you around $3,500 give or take a few bucks,
I bid a resturant last year, it had 9000 sqft and I bid it at $1.10 a sqft and we were to high, some other company came in at $.90 a sqft, but they did a hack job too. so you get what you pay for,
Good Luck
Frank
Frankawitz Custom Painting &
Plastering Repairs

Old 03-19-01, 09:14 AM
Visiting Guest
Frank
I will try to clarify. Location is Central Wisconsin. The square footage of the house is 1880. I estimated the actual square footage of drywalling to be around 8200 sq. ft. The roof is a 12-12 pitch. I estimate the ceiling drywall to be about 2750 sq ft and walls to be maybe another 5450 or so. I got prices of drywall for 4 x 12 - 5/8" were $9.49/sheet and 1/2" was $6.99/ sheet. This came to $1425 for drywall. With renting the jack for 3 weeks is another $300. How much "mud" do you suppose I would use and drywall screws? Also, what type of joint tape is best? The ceiling is 24' high in the great room and at a 45 degree angle, do the jacks come in that height? Any other tips would be appreciated.
Thanks
Keegan

Old 03-21-01, 05:00 PM
Visiting Guest
Keegan
As for the lift going that high no way, you'll have to get yourself scaffolding to get up that high, as for mud goes I would use Durabond in the brown bags, use this stuff as your bed coat and then put your paper tape down,then for your second coat use ready mix joint compound, then finish off with topping compound it sands out real easy, as for screws I would get a 25lbs box of 1-5/8's since your using 5/8's sheetrock, and use 1-1/4 for the walls, you may want to use a product called straight edge no coat for your corners (outside) they also have a inside corners also,
Good Luck
Frank
Frankawitz Custom Painting &
Plastering Repairs

Old 03-22-01, 05:36 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks Frank
All is appreciated! I am both looking forward to this project and stressing about it. Given the choice again, I will add more "fudge" in the mix, as well as pick out the ideal kitchen before numbers are put out. In fact, I already have ideas for our next house, but that's another story. Thanks for tha help!
Dan