Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Bathroom Reno - Plaster / Greenboard / Drywall questions

Old 08-28-14, 11:41 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I'm working on a Bathroom reno. Older 1950's Single story home with Plaster over Drywall lathe. I have removed the walls to stud and wanted to clarify and ask a couple questions.

Roughly an 7X9 space with standard 8ft ceiling. 1 exterior wall with a window, which is to the right of the back of the Tub area sharing the same exterior wall.

1. Walls of Tub surround - I have used Roxul for the insulation of the interior and exterior wall of the tub area. I have also hung 6mil Poly on the exterior wall and for the Tub area. I further plan to use 1/2in Hardiboard for the tub surround under tile, and then greenboard for the rest of the wall area where the Haridie is not being used.
a. Any issue with using Hardiboard over the poly for the tub surround? I have read posts both FOR and Against???
b. is Greenboard for the exterior wall, over the poly, fine? or what else to consider?
c. remaining interior wall area will use the 1/2in GB

2. Plaster Ceiling - left this alone, however removed a decorative header which framed in the old tub area. Short of patching the removed header section, I have decided to just hang drywall right over the old plaster to essentially re-level the ceiling instead of patching the old plaster.
a. Can I simply hang the 1/2in green board over the old plaster ceiling? I have read that GB is not recommended for ceilings. Is that an issue in this case of going over the old ceiling? or what other method should I consider? Regular drywall 1/2 in or 5/8in?

Thanks for the help and advice/

Old 08-28-14, 03:09 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 759 Upvotes on 664 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

IMO there is no need for greenboard. Priming and then coating regular drywall with latex enamel gives it plenty of protection from moisture plus regular drywall paints better than greenboard. 1/2" drywall should be ok for the ceiling provided you use adhesive between the joists.

It's normal procedure to install plastic on the exterior walls [under the drywall] and behind cement board in wet areas.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: