Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Studs, drywall and uneven fiberglass tub surround...

Old 10-23-14, 12:28 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm working on a "bathroom" in our basement that was put together pretty hastefully. Not the point.

The original owner installed a fiberglass tub surround (another story for another day), near the side wall it's installed unevenly with the studs. Meets at the top stud and by the time you get to the bottom it's about 3/8th away from the studs. Rather than remedy, they went ahead and installed the sheetrock. What resulted was a "twisted" section of the wall.

What's more is the king stud sticks out around 1/8" past the other studs in the wall. This isn't as big of a deal.

Looking for suggestions to get the wall straight and still have some semblance of a door jamb, e.g. not going flush with the jamb. This would actually screw up the sheetrock above the surround.

Please take a look at the pics. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Name:  2014-10-23 12.02.05.jpg
Views: 3058
Size:  12.3 KB

Name:  2014-10-23 12.02.28.jpg
Views: 1491
Size:  18.2 KB

Name:  2014-10-23 12.02.36.jpg
Views: 1366
Size:  29.2 KB

Thanks.

Old 10-23-14, 03:42 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Having a hard time fitting all 3 pictures together. Can you take a master picture that shows the whole area? I assume you have top, middle and bottom in the pics. but my mind is not putting them together in a logical way.

You back up to a door, so that you have very little wall that is in play other than that above the door. Anyway, hope you can provide the missing piece of the puzzle.

Old 10-23-14, 04:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
While waiting on the picture, keep in mind the door jamb is a clamshell and can be adjusted inward to compensate for the sheetrock. It may not be easy, but doable if that is the only problem.

Old 10-24-14, 07:58 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Your missing a backer to even attach the sheetrock or panel to.
Going to have to remove that panel and rip a 2 X 4 or 6 to fit flat between those two studs so you have something to attach stuff to.
As bad as that was installed I'd bet there's more hidden issues behind those panels.
Sure does not look like a galvanized roof nail at the top of that panel.

Old 10-27-14, 10:45 AM
S
I ended up adding a second 2x4 the length of the surround and attaching greenboard up to the surround edge. Built up joint compound where the surface was uneven to level things out.

Definitely not the ideal situation, but a fix for now as I'd love to show that enclosure the door, and get a proper tub.

The sheetrock in that room is a mess and isn't greenboard or anything moisture resistant, so it looks like I need to plan for a bigger picture and make more time to get things right.

Old 10-27-14, 01:49 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Normally green board isn't needed in a bath rm although the walls do need to be primed and coated with a latex enamel, a bath enamel is even better as it has extra mildewcide and is formulated for the harsher environment of a bath with shower.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: