Impossible furnace room ceiling?

Old 10-23-14, 10:36 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Impossible furnace room ceiling?

Hey there,

my basement is finished except for the furnace room - the ducts and piping create what looks like an impossible drywall job (see the pictures). My reason for covering it is to reduce sound transmission to upstairs, as well as the adjacent rooms in the basement. It's not just the furnace noise that travels upstairs, but any noise from the surround areas in the basement comes through upstairs in the area above the exposed ceiling.

The only thing I think of is to use fire retardant roxul batting between the joists and then wrap some layer under the batting to prevent fibres from spreading into the air. Manipulating the wrap under/around the ducting would be difficult but not impossible like drywalling looks to be.

Is this doable, are there any better solutions. Looking for some answers.

Thanks.Attachment 40595Attachment 40596Attachment 40597Attachment 40598Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  36.6 KBAttachment 40600Attachment 40601Name:  photo 2-1.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  33.3 KBName:  photo 5.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  33.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-14, 03:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I think you have hit upon the best solution with the Roxul. Not much sheetrocking will go on in that area

Old 10-24-14, 09:31 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I had to hang drywall in a situation like that. It was basically a jigsaw puzzle. Either 5/8 sheet rock or sheet metal is the code here. The sheet metal won't do much for the sound but you could use it. Coincidentally, I have a similar job next week.