Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Heavy IKEA medicine cabinet- can it be hanged onto drywall only (no wall studs)?

Heavy IKEA medicine cabinet- can it be hanged onto drywall only (no wall studs)?

Old 10-31-14, 02:38 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Heavy IKEA medicine cabinet- can it be hanged onto drywall only (no wall studs)?

Hi Walls and Ceilings,

I bought a new medicine cabinet from IKEA. But this thing really heavy- it weighs in at 36 pounds. And our wall studs aren't located in such a way that it'd help us securely fasten it to the wall.

Can I hang this cabinet onto the wall without the use of wall studs? Here's a diagram with my intended plan.

Can wall anchors/toggles save me? Any tricks for getting this thing without having a drywall disaster? Or do I absolutely need to find a lighter medicine cabinet?

Old 10-31-14, 02:44 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
I have hung cabinets from one stud successfully. You are planning to mount it to the one stud shown in the middle, right?

Old 10-31-14, 03:02 PM
Received 291 Votes on 261 Posts
That middle stud will hold. Use two to three screws. If you want throw a couple toggle bolts on the ends for good measure.

Old 11-01-14, 11:30 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Those are all great suggestions. But I just unpacked the IKEA furniture, and due to the poor build quality of the cabinet the suggestions that were provided won't work. The backing of the cabinet is made out of this cheap, thin, cardboard like material. It sure as heck won't hold a lag bolt, or anything bolted into the studs for that matter.

Most of that hefty 36-pound weight comes from the mirrored doors, of all things. What a dumb design decision. Looks like this one's getting returned.

Thanks for the suggestions, though. I guess I'm better off finding a cabinet that isn't of such poor quality, and taking your approach.

Old 11-01-14, 01:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
If you really want to use that cabinet you can insert a 1x2 under the shelves and then run your screws thru that cleat into the stud ..... but finding a better build cabinet would be best

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: