bathroom drywall questions

Old 11-26-14, 11:02 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
bathroom drywall questions

Greetings. I am in the middle of a bathroom reno. as you can see from the picture below, this is where i am.

the tub will be installed Monday. It is a 36" soaker tub, with a removeable curtain.

my question is this. on the picture you will see small wall parts that are flush to each closet door between it and the outer corners that form the tub surround. especially looking at the bottom, where the drywall has been damaged some-it is going to be easier for me simply to take the trim off the closet doors and replace this small sections all the way up,

my second question is related to the faux ceiling above the tub area. my tile guy wants me to install green board from the top to about the 1/4 of the way down, where he will take over and finish with a waterproof product. do i seal this to the faux cieling with normal tape, etc like normal?

Matthew

Name:  IMG_2285.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  23.8 KB

Old 11-26-14, 11:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums Matthew!

I'm not totally certain I follow you but IMO there is no need for green board as regular drywall primed and then painted with a latex enamel will give plenty of protection from moisture. Green board gets taped/finished just like any other drywall.

Old 11-26-14, 02:13 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Got a picture higher up so we can see this "faux ceiling"?
You would never pass inspection in this area if you did not use some form of moisture resistant drywall in a wet area.
Denshield, green, or blue board.
Regular paper tape and mud will work.
Is there a shower involved?
Why would you need a curtain for a soaker tub?
Use a real primer and paint made for a bathroom so it will have a mildicide in it.
Not a primer and paint in one.

Old 11-26-14, 02:25 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I know it used to be part of the code that bath rms had to use greenboard but I thought that was done away with yrs ago.

Latex enamel [any sheen] is bare minimum for paint in a bath rm. I agree that a bath paint is better. IMO the primer in the paint is just a marketing ploy geared towards repaints [where primer isn't needed] A separate dedicated primer is always best when primer is needed!

Old 11-26-14, 02:43 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Code or not why would anyone take the chance to save a couple of dollars?
What are you talking about, one sheet? Well worth it.

Old 11-26-14, 04:01 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Start with new drywall on the damaged wall portions near the door. Makes sense if you are finishing and don't want to be bothered with the issues that can pop up with less than pristine drywall.

If no shower present in a soaker tub, then your contractors suggestions of 1/4" down drywall and then switching to cbu or other waterproof solution is perfectly legitimate as far as I'm concerned.

Old 11-27-14, 03:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Code or not why would anyone take the chance to save a couple of dollars
It has nothing to do with the extra dollar or two per sheet, regular drywall paints better than green board! The 'wax' [or whatever it is] that they impregnate the drywall with to make it water resistant also can cause issues with the texture and paint that is applied over it.

Old 11-27-14, 05:29 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
To answer your questions yes there will be a shower in it as well

Old 11-27-14, 05:45 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You don't want any drywall below the shower head, the tile on the walls needs to have cement board under it. The ceiling or top 1' of the wall is fine with primer and latex enamel [as mentioned previously, bath paint is better]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: