Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Bathroom remodel black dust behind wall?

Old 01-05-15, 03:37 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

After we purchased our house a few years ago there was a tub leak that was fixed. The wall damage was minimal so was left for later. It wasn't stained, just a bit crumpled near the edge where the water had been running. A very small section at the bottom of the wall next to the tub.

Fixing the sheetrock noticed some very fine black dust around the area inside the wall. Very dry throughout the wall, was like powder, very thin coating near the damaged sheetrock. Cleaned-up with a hepa vacuum and proper breathing apparatus. Reaching a foot up in the wall past the hole and very, very little can be seen with a white rag. But I'm worried it was mold.

Now the question is, is this something that I should worry about? I'm worried that if we call a professional they will call it mold and want to rip the whole wall apart. Seeing as it is dry and not likely to leak in the near future, I'm wanting to seal it up and call it good.

Full inspection of all surrounding sheetrock show no visible issues either downstairs or in the next room. An access panel into the area behind the tub hardware shows no such problem.

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-15, 08:14 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
We can not see it without pictures, more then likely though it's mold.
Damaged area should have been cutout and replaced.

Old 01-06-15, 03:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

pics could be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Mold needs 3 things to grow; heat, moisture and a food source - take away any 1 of the 3 and it won't grow ..... but there is never a better time to address the issue. Might be a case of better safe than sorry Drywall is fairly simple to cut out, replace and finish. How big an area is it?

Old 01-06-15, 03:49 PM
R
Thanks for the quick reply!

In the attached picture you see the wall corner I am replacing - the vacuum cleaned everything out before I thought it may be mold.

I took the tissue (pictured) and reached up a foot into the wall and rubbed on the wall. Not much came off - same black but very dry.

[ATTACH]picture[/ATTACH]

It sounds like, just to be safe - remove the whole sheetrock for that wall section and possibly the section next to it (away from the tub) just to check there then replace it after cleaning and possibly painting kilz all throughout (assuming no more found)?

I really appreciate your feedback! Much thanks!

Attached Images  
Old 01-06-15, 04:14 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
Where in Washington state do you live? If it is in the Puget Sound area you must remember that this is the land of mold. While I personally think you have no real problem it is ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry.

Old 01-06-15, 05:13 PM
R
Vancouver. 'tho most of the pacific northwest is pretty wet, but not as humid as elsewhere.

Old 01-07-15, 03:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
I don't see anything in the pic that would make me concerned about mold BUT as Furd said - better safe than sorry ..... and if it makes you sleep better at night