Dark Oval Stains on Wall

Old 02-05-15, 01:28 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dark Oval Stains on Wall

Hi All,

I just noticed 3 dark oval stains on the tall wall next to my staircase. The room behind these stains is a bathroom and the top of the shower (where it meets the wall) is about 2 inches from the top of the first oval. Are these water stains or do you know what may have caused them? I just moved in a month ago and I'm not sure if they were there from the previous owners or not or if they just showed up. Further lower on the wall is a wall vent. They're not wet and are hard to the touch but I'm thinking about using a moisture meter to confirm as I'm not sure what is making these perfect oval dark stains, didn't see any holes indicating pictures here either. It's also interesting that the middle of the ovals there's bulging.

How do you think this happened or is happening?Name:  Pic 1.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  25.9 KBName:  IMG_7048.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  16.5 KB

Any help will be appreciated.

Old 02-05-15, 01:33 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 758 Upvotes on 663 Posts
I couldn't tell from the pics but water stains are generally brown, especially along the perimeter. Moisture can also loosen the drywall tape - is that a bulge in the pics? Have you inspected the tile/tub surround for leaks? is that a plumbing wall?

Old 02-05-15, 01:38 PM
L
Hi Mark,

The oval rings are light brown colored, just very faint. The light brown is making the oval shape but not seeing any "dripping" looking spots of brown on the wall. I'll try to take better pictures later and post them as well. I've only used the bathtub once and didn't see any leaks (haven't used the shower in this bathroom) and there is indeed a bulge. No plumbing in that wall.

Old 02-05-15, 01:45 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Moisture can cause drywall to bulge and tape to lift BUT that isn't the only cause. Water stains rarely look like drips as the drywall acts like a sponge and tries to absorb what water it can.

Old 02-05-15, 01:48 PM
L
Thank you! So these oval shaped brown rings can indeed be water stains. Will a moisture meter help confirm or would I need to take the whole drywall out and investigate?

If they're not damp, do you think these may have been in the past or still an issue?

Old 02-05-15, 01:57 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
A moisture meter might confirm/deny moisture in the wall but a water stain doesn't usually go away after the moisture is gone. I'd keep an eye on it, if it grows or gets damp - you have a problem but it could just be a stain from long ago with nothing to worry about. I see no need to cut into the drywall at this time.

Old 02-05-15, 02:00 PM
L
Okay - I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: