Scaffolding to hang chandelier

Old 05-04-15, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Scaffolding to hang chandelier

Hi all,

Hopefully this is the right forum. I want to mount a chandalier in my dining room which has a vaulted ceiling about 15 feet high. The room has never had a chandalier so I will need to install the junction box, etc

My biggest problem is finding cheap scaffolding to hang it. What's a good place to rent scaffolding? Are there any alternatives such as building my own out of wood?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-15, 04:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 337 Votes on 315 Posts
I wouldn't consider building it.... and I wouldn't want to work off of "cheap" scaffolding.
I have a 10', 12' and 14' stepladders I use for jobs like that.

You didn't fill out your location but there must be rental places in your area where you could rent something.

Old 05-04-15, 04:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Some 10 foot and higher stepladder have steps on both sides. That would allow a helper to hold the chandelier while mounting..

Old 05-04-15, 04:56 PM
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Even though modern light bulbs should last longer than we will, a chandelier does need to be cleaned occasionally. Plus, there are usually other places and times when a good ladder is necessary. A good purchase now will make future needs less of a problem.

I assume you have access from above for running the wires. Be sure to air seal and insulate over the top of that new electrical box.

Bud

Old 05-05-15, 03:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 119 Votes on 106 Posts
a chandelier does need to be cleaned occasionally
I've worked on some high end houses that had the chandeliers on winch type deal where you flipped a switch in the corner and the chandelier lowered to a comfortable height for maintenance

As mentioned above - you do not want a cheap scaffold or ladder!! You won't be comfortable working off of them and they'll get even more wobbly as they age IMO you'll get more use out of a ladder than a scaffold.

Old 05-05-15, 05:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 47 Posts
Most rental places will rent good scaffolding quite inexpensively. Looking at my local rental place they rent the ends for $4 a week, braces for $1, and planks for $4.50. So your looking at:

4 ends = $16
4 braces = $4
2 planks = $9
Total = $29 a week + tax

Having said that, I would just use a 12' ladder for a 15' ceiling.

Old 05-05-15, 07:43 AM
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Having worked off of a 10' ladder into a 12' drop ceiling, with my knees shaking, I bought a 12' ladder for the second trip. The thought of working off of a 12' ladder to a 15' ceiling I would need a diaper. However, a few 14' 2x4' and a box of sorts around the top would take care of the stability issues (and my shaky knees) and would add little to the overall cost. For me it was the problem of letting go of the ladder and finding something to hang onto at the ceiling level.

Also, having someone to steady the ladder would help.

Bud

Old 05-05-15, 10:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 119 Votes on 106 Posts
You want to use a Type I or IA ladder, they cost more and are heavier but they are a LOT sturdier than the lighter grade ladders. I've spent a good portion of my life working off of ladders but a homeowner duty Type III ladder makes me nervous!

Type I . - 250 lbs working load
Type II - 225 lbs
Type III - 200 lbs

Old 05-05-15, 03:02 PM
Received 60 Votes on 57 Posts
If your bent on buying a ladder then I suggest you get a Little Giant model. It can be converted to single level scaffold. They aren't cheap but will last a lifetime. They have type 1A thru type 1AAA and can reach heights up to 26 feet.

Old 05-05-15, 05:46 PM
Received 55 Votes on 50 Posts
There you go; Norm nailed it. I had seen this thread, and thought nope, no need for scaffold, but yes to a 12' step ladder. But a Little Giant ladder, now that's something that you can use for a lot of things. Don't know why I didn't think of that, because mine is in the truck more often than not. The scaffold that Norm mentioned wouldn't get you high enough, although it's plenty handy for other things around the house, but, as a tall step ladder, it's every bit as stable as any of my Werner 10' & 12' ladders, And it's a top of the line extension ladder to boot. I bought my model 22, I think it is, 22' extension or 11' step, a bit over 30 years ago, and it's still in great shape. Nice thing is that it's under 6 folded, so easy to store or to carry indoors. And I haven't seen any of the also rans that come close to matching it in any regard. Only issue for certain things, like electrical work, is that it's aluminum, so make darn sure your power is off, which you would anyway.

Old 05-21-15, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks all for the replies. Sorry for the delayed response other things came up. After thinking about it and reading the replies I think i'll just get a high ladder. The thought of being up that high isnt fun, but i think itll only take a few mins to install the electric and everything.

Old 05-21-15, 10:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 337 Votes on 315 Posts
Installing the electric is the easy part. Can YOU hold the chandelier with one hand ?

My 12' and 14' ladders are double rungs which means a person can climb up each side.

Just some food for thought.