Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

What kind of ceiling tile is this? Possible to repair?

Old 05-14-15, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

(Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I wasn't sure where to post this.) I've got some sort of interlocking paper/cardboard tile that makes up my kitchen ceiling. There was a leak from the bathroom upstairs that hit the tile and soaked some of it away. I've repaired the leak, but now my kitchen ceiling looks like this:

Name:  ceiling_tile_hole.jpg
Views: 4908
Size:  17.1 KB

We've scoured the house looking for any replacement tiles the previous homeowner may have left behind, but couldn't find any. So, some questions:
  • What is this kind of paper/foam tile called?
  • Is it still being made?
  • What is the best way to repair or patch this so it's not such an eyesore?

We aren't prepared to redo the entire ceiling just yet, but I'd like to patch it somehow because we have guests coming over in a few weeks. Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-15, 03:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 339 Votes on 317 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

This is the correct forum for your question.

That is called a splined ceiling. You can search spline ceiling tiles to see all the ones available.

Spline – A strip of metal or fiber inserted in the kerfs of adjacent acoustical tile to form a concealed mechanical joint seal.

Those tiles can be slotted on the sides and a strip in inserted to lock them together OR
Those tiles can be glued directly on an older ceiling or both.

I would remove one of the damaged ones so you can see what is behind it and then shoot a new pic for us.

Old 05-14-15, 04:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
You need to replace the damaged tiles but the ones that just have water stains can be coated with either an oil base primer or pigmented shellac [like Zinnser's BIN] and then repainted.

Old 05-14-15, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the help! It is drywall behind the tiles.

Now that I know what these are called, I can try to look for them. They look glued on; what kind of glue would I need to affix new ones? Would Liquid Nails work?

Old 05-18-15, 10:06 AM
After some research, which was aided immensely by actually pulling some tiles off and reading the codes on the back, it turns out these tiles are Armstrong 231f:

Washable White HomeStyle Ceilings Smooth Paintable 12" x 12" Tile 231 by Armstrong

The drawback is that it appears they're not made any more, but we found a single lone box, discounted for clearance, at our local Lowe's. So, I think that will solve this problem; I'll try to slot as many as I can, and just cut the tabs off the final tile to fit it. Thanks again to everyone who helped with suggestions.

Old 05-18-15, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator
As to the glue, not sure I'd use the typical solvent based Liquid Nail. Maybe the Panel and Foamboard? Check the tile manufacturers site or maybe the LN site.

Old 05-18-15, 02:03 PM
The Panel and Foamboard is what I picked up. If it does not work out, I'l reply back, but I'm going to assume it will work ok.